Reload this Page >

Family trip to Netherlands - input and advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Wendy

Our family (two adults and children ages 7 and 12) is planning a 2 week trip to the Netherlands this summer. I have the itinerary roughed in but much fine tuning is needed. Any input or advice you can offer on accommodations, restaurants, or places of interest will be much appreciated. Our interests are varied (art, music,dance,easy biking or hiking, nature). I try to keep our accommodations in the $100 (up to $150)/night range but would splurge on a night or two of something special. Guide books rarely indicate if hotels or restaurants are kid-friendly (other than reading between the lines) so any suggestions from those with first hand experience is appreciated. <BR> <BR>Amsterdam -4nights hotel? restaurants? <BR>canal boat ride, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, Aalsmeer, Alkmaar, Zaanse Schans, eat at KinderKookKafe <BR> <BR>The Hague-2nights City Hotel,Scheveningen? <BR> restaurants? <BR>Lieden windmill museum, Madurodam, Scheveningen Sea Life Center, Delft <BR>Breda(or near by)-2nights De Klok hotel? <BR> restaurants? <BR>Zierikee and Delta Expo, Veer, De Efteling (amusement park in Kaatsheuvel) <BR> <BR>Maastricht -2nights Hotel? restaurants? <BR>Caves of St. Peter, Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial, Heerlen Roman Bath museum <BR> <BR>Apeldoorn-Arnhem area - 2nights hotel? restaurants? <BR>Openlucht Museum, Zutphen, Kroller-Muller museum and De Hoge Veluwe Park <BR> <BR>Leewarden area -2nights hotel? restaurants? <BR>towns to visit on northeast route from Arnhem?, Wadden Island visit by ferry (only one island or several in one day?), Makkum, Hindeloopen, Aldfaers Erf route (on rental bikes?) <BR> <BR>All input is appreciated. Thanks. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Rex

Wendy, <BR> <BR>Terrific itinerary! Since you're going to Maastricht (thumbs up), I wonder if you can trim here and there and swing through Germany - - just for a little variety. You can make a nice little circle back to Amsterdam taking in Aachen and/or Cologne, coming back up through Duisburg (or thereabouts - - I'm writing this without benefit of a map). <BR> <BR>Anyhow, if you do so, here's my candidate for a splurge night or two: Park-Hotel Wasserburg-Anholt, right on the German-Dutch border, a real moated castle with nice grounds and room for the kids to run around (outside the moat, or inside the castle's courtyard). There's a nice (albeit little) museum there, and I believe you can actually stay IN the tower (didn't do that). Overall, the place is somewhat elegant, as far as dining, etc. I haven't stayed there with kids (though I have traveled plenty with kids - - I find that kids will frequently "get into" a fancy place), but the staff was very "general-guest-friendly", so hopefully, you would find it family-friendly also. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 07:03 PM
LA

We were in Holland in 1994 and it was amazing. The people are great and so is the nation. We stayed at Elzenhagen (Monsterseweg 100 2685 LK Poeldijk). It is near Naaldwijk, where we had friends. It had a living room bath and upstairs single beds. All in all there was room for 5 sleepers on these wonderful, fresh mattresses. I think they were feather. The breakfast had everything from poached eggs to Frosted Flakes. Everything an American would want...good coffee and twenty different flavors of tea. I think it was only 80 or 90 bucks per night. This motel-restaurant has a sister hotel Hotel Elzenduin (Strandeweg 18 2684 VT Terheijde aan Zee). It is probably nice too. Anne Frank House is a must. Also, if you are feeling touristy, take a canal tour. They are very relaxing and it is neat to do. Many beautiful buildings are right on the water. It was wonderful! Oh, and I was 14 on this trip so I would assume Motel Elzenhagen is kid-friendly. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:24 PM
Myriam

Indeed a terrific itinerary! <BR>De Efteling (Kaatsheuvel) is a MUST with the children. The park is devided in a fairy-tale part and an amusement part (roller-coasters, etc). You will need a full day. De Efteling has (or had ??) also a hotel with various fairy-tale decorated rooms. <BR> <BR>Veere is a cute little town with cobblestone streets and a marina. When you're there take the chance to visit other towns in Zeeland like Middelburg, Zierikzee (with Delta Expo of course), etc. <BR> <BR>Scheveningen is at the northsea and has a long boulevard and a pier where's always something to do and to see. In Den Haag (The Hague) do visit Madurodam with the children (Holland in miniature). <BR> <BR>As far as the Wadden Eilanden are concerned, I would opt for a day trip at only one island, Ameland for instance. Take an early ferry in Holwerd, rent a bike and explore the island by bike. Nature is amazingly beautiful there, as well as in the rest of Friesland - I have never seen so much free air than in Friesland. Maybe you could find a farm that supplies bed & breakfast. This is very popular here in Belgium and probably also in Holland. <BR> <BR>If you need some more information, email me. <BR>Myriam <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 02:21 AM
donna

Sounds wonderful. We went to Holland two years ago and are going back this year! Madurodamis wonderful! Also- Apeldooorn and the Kroeller-Mueller Art Museum and Sculpture park. One suggestion, if you can fit it in - Yhe "Jopie Huisman" Museum in Workum was fantastic. Have a great time! donna

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 05:12 AM
Greg

Be carefull with the kinds in Amsterdam.It is an adult playground <BR>and you'll be in for a shock if you <BR>venture into certain areas of the <BR>center. Gp

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 07:26 PM
Wendy

Thank you all for your reassuring responses. Its good to hear that I am on the right track! <BR>Anyone have recommendations for hotels? We will be in the Netherlands in the middle of the summer. Is air conditioning an important consideration in Amsterdam? I know that we hit a heat wave when we were in London and were very thankful for our hotel's air conditioning. <BR>Thanks again. Your advice is appreciated.