Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family of 4 - Switzerland & Italy - First week of June 2014 (12-15 days)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its far but due to certain circumstances I need to do my bookings now so really appreciate everyone's help in advance!

I have the option of starting in Zurich and end in Rome/Naples or vice-a-versa.

1) What would you suggest start north or start south.
2) Since almost 3 adults and 1 toddler, would driving be economical?
3) If I have 12 to 15 days (could stretch to 17/18 if necessary), what could be a good itinerary? I am thinking Naples, Rome, Florence, Venice (part at airport), Milan (return car) (train into Switzerland) (rent car again) Place to visit in Switzerland (return car in Zurich) Fly back from Zurich.

Please help
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:42 PM

Hi hsinaz,

I would start in the south and work north as the weather warms up (or . . . should be warming up, lol).

I wouldn't drive in Switzerland -- the best places are car-free, cities are a pain in the neck to drive through, and trains are fun and easy to take.

Coming from Milan, I would recommend you consider these for your stops:

Zermatt
Montreux
Jungfrau region (Wengen or Mürren)
Luzern/Zürich (they are only 45 minutes apart by train)

Not all of them, of course! I recommend you spend at least 4 nights in each place. If you run out of time, you could choose either Zermatt OR Jungfrau region as your mountain fix.

Information at

www.zermatt.ch
www.montreux-vevey.com
www.myjungfrau.ch
www.luzern.com

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 12:26 AM

I presume you are thinking it might be economical driving by comparing the train cost vs. the rental part only?
To get the full picture of the rental cost you need to add gas, tolls, and parking. For the first two, you can get the estimate using http://www.viamichelin.com/.
And if you make a mistake of wondering into ZTLs or get caught by speed cameras, you will tilt the cost on the rental side by hundreds of euros.
Another thing to consider is that you are proposing to visit 5 Italian cities in about 2 weeks. A car is useless in these 5 cities you mentioned so the car will just sit in the parking lot collecting parking fees. Also, you really don't have much time to stop between these cities to take advantage of having a car.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Train fares in Italy are pretty cheap if you book ahead and you can use www.italiarail.com to do so and I find that site a LOT more convenient to use than Trenitalia.com

Why have a car in a city that is parked all the time?

In Switzerland I would recommend anywhere in the Berner Oberland (Jungfrau) vs. Zermatt if you had to choose one vs. the other; views in the BO are MUCH more varied than that basic peak and Monte Rosa Massif view above Zermatt.

With the time constraints I would skip Montreux and go directly to the BO from Milan BY RAIL. You do NOT need a car in the BO since rail is a much m ore convenient way to get around.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks.. I have decided to start in Rome and end in Zurich and I have 15 full days raching -1 day night and leaving +1 day early AM. Flights already booked. I have also decided to buy 8 day swiss rail pass for all 4 (saving on 2 kids 5 and 13 which I was earlier counting as adult). I am thinking 8 days in Italy and 7 in Switzerland. I plan to stick to 2 or maximum 3 cities in Italy which must include Rome and Venice per my family In Switzerland, I am going to use some of the ideas posted above. I plan to use the Swiss pass right from the border or even from an train that crosses over into Switzerland from Italy using my first day on that pass. Also if possible something that will take me to Zurich on the last day of travel or even all the way to ZRH airport. Given these plans could you please let me know what other forums I can branch out to for inputs? Any other pieces of advice for me please?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Since you have the rail passes, take a Ferienwohnung - vacation apartment (or house) rental and do day trips. If you choose one in a central place with good train connections in all directions - Bern or Lucerne for example. It's nice to come home after a long day away to a place with a fridge and a kitchen- shops don't stay open late in Switzerland, and hotel rooms don't typically have anything like that. Look in places like www.fewo.ch, http://chalet.myswitzerland.com and the like.