Family Friendly Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are cruising and will have a stop in Florence (from 7 am to 6 pm). We plan to take the train to avoid the overpriced shore excursions. We don't want to overload our teens (ages 13 and 15) with museums, but would like to spend some time in either Uffizi or Accademia....Which one? Also other suggestions that would keep 2 teenagers interested and give them a flavor of Florence? We plan to explore on foot.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:10 AM

If they are interested at all in science, there's a history of science museum, that's quite fascinating.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:35 AM

The Uffizi is a lot to absorb and can eat up a very large part of your day. The Accademia can be seen in less than an hour and contains the incomparable David. I'd go there. Be sure to make reservations for wherever you go so you won't have to stand in a long line.

Visit the Duomo and climb either the dome or the bell tower - great views of the city.

Have lunch outside on the Piazza della Signoria and watch all of the people - then cross the Ponte Vecchio for gelato.

Especially if your teens are girls, take a stroll through the Central Market.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
While at the Duomo, see also the Bapistery. If you're familiar with the Bible, you can study the exterior doors to find depictions of various stories. Going into the building is like stepping into a jewel box.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/i...nce-baptistery

If you still have time, I would taxi up to Piazzale Michelangelo or walk to Forte di Belvedere for fantastic views of the city.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... Great suggestions!!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:01 PM

I took a group of friends for a one-day visit to Florence. Upon arrival at Firenze SMN train station, we took a taxi to Piazzale Michelangelo on hillside on the other side of the city for a scenic overlook of Florence. This gave my friends a real understanding of Florence begin a big city, yet nestled in the hills of Tuscany.

Then we walked down the hill past green gardens back to the center, crossing the river at the Ponte Vecchio. We strolled past the Uffizi and Palazzo Vecchio, visited the interior of the Baptistery, strolled past the duomo, and visited the Accademia with reserved-ahead tickets. This route takes you through the center of town past the most recognizable sights.

Somewhere in there we had a nice lunch. We also had time to shop the outdoor markets at San Lorenzo. If this hadn't filled time I'd add in a visit to one of these churches—Santa Maria Novella, San Lorenzo, or Santa Croce.