Fagradalsfjall Volcano

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fagradalsfjall Volcano

On Tuesday, 7/20/21, my DW and I visited the Fagradalsfjall Volcano, which is about a 20 minute-long drive south of the Blue Lagoon. This volcano started erupting on 3/19/21. We took Path C which is the short (1 hour RT) and easy hike to the flowing lava in the Nátthagi valley. From Nátthagi it is possible to continue on a more difficult hike up to Langihryggur where hikers get view over the crater opening (adding 1-2 hours of hiking). You just follow the other people, who are on the path. I started on the path to Langihryggur, but I turned back when I reached a point where I could only see a white cloud when I looked towards the volcano. Since the volcano was not erupting on the day I was there and I couldn't see anything any way, I didn't see any reason to continue hiking towards Langihryggur. We then went down and explored the hardened river of black lava. It is quite impressive and is well worthwhile even if you don't go on to the top at Langihryggur.

Fagradalsfjall Volcano - General Information: https://www.visitreykjanes.is/en

Fagradalsfjall Volcano - Daily updates on conditions: https://safetravel.is/eruption-in-reykjanes

Put “Geldingadalir Volcano” in Google Maps for directions to the parking area

You need to download the PARKA app on your smartphone and pay ahead for parking (1,000 ISK for one day). The parking lot does have porta potties. We got fish and chips at a food truck on the parking lot. The food was hot and delicious. We spent about two hours total, including hiking back and forth and exploring the lava.

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Very interesting, Larry123. Was this part of your visit to Iceland?
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette View Post
Very interesting, Larry123. Was this part of your visit to Iceland?
Yes. We didn't do a tour. We rented a car and toured on our own.