Extra days outside Venice

Jul 11th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Extra days outside Venice

We are taking a bus from Ljubljana, Slovenia to Venice, picking up a car and then drivng an hour north maybe a bit east to the Friuli wine are. Right now we have two nights booked at a lovely hotel in Capriva de Friuli. WE still have one night free before we are staying at the airport hotel before we fly home.
We have been to verona, and my husband really would prefer not to go into Venice as we have been thre 3 times already! Any ideas where we could do one extra night north of Venice with a car??
Thanks,
Alison
Jul 11th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Hi alisonmary,

personally I'd book another night where you are [after all 2 nights only gives you a day] and use it to explore Udine.

otherwise Bolsano is quite close, or what about Padua?

if you stayed in Padua, you might not have to stay at the airport itself which I would try to avoid if at all possible, depending on your flight time of course.
Jul 11th, 2013, 05:40 AM

annhig is right. If you change location you'll lose the travelling time, plus check then check in etc. Stay in Capriva.
Jul 11th, 2013, 07:09 AM

Consider Vicenza or Padua.
Jul 23rd, 2013, 03:38 AM

This seems like a very excessive detour to me. Check Google Maps and compare the locations of Ljubljana, Venice and Capriva and you'll see what you're planning does not make a lot of sense, especially if you're only going from Ljubljana to Venice to rent a car. Here's a link to get a better idea: http://goo.gl/maps/oAowo

I suggest you go from Ljubljana to Trieste, rent a car there, go to Capriva and explore the nearby Collio/Goriska Brda area (half in Italy, half in Slovenia) and on the next day go visit Cividale, which is a lovely town east of Udine. On the way from Trieste to Capriva, don't take the highway but rather take the much nicer coastal road. Along the way you can stop at the Miramare Castle, a former royal (Austrian) seaside residence and further north on the way to Capriva there's an interesting WW1 memorial in Redipuglia, right by the road. You can then return the car in Trieste and take a train to Venice or arrange to drop the car off in Venice.