Reload this Page >

Extended Stay on Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Rita

I am planning to spend two months this summer (mid-May through July) on the Amalfi Coast -- probably either in the town of Amalfi or Ravello. I want mainly to relax on a private terrace overlooking the sea, hike, and be close to the main town squares in order to enjoy the local color. A few questions: if you were going alone, which town would you stay in (Amalfi or Ravello)? Would you stay in a hotel or in an apartment/villa (I would like to spend less than $1000/week, and location near town square, plus sea view, is important)? If hotel, which hotel would you recommend? Would you recommend the Hotel Aurora in Amalfi (looks like a decent one within that budget)? If it's a villa, which agency would you recommend? I would appreciate as much detailed info as possible, because this will be my first extended trip in a while and I want it to be as perfect as possible! Thanks a lot.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Kay

You can see the sea from Ravello, but it is a long way down. Ravello is charming and would be relaxing, and is possibly the most beautiful spot in the world, but a bit isolated. On the other hand, it is small enough that you might have a better chance of getting to know the local residents. Ravello has a lovely town square. Amalfi is larger and more accessible to the other Amalfi coast towns and is actually on the sea. I would try to find an apartment. I think you will get tired of eating out all the time or in the hotel.<BR>You trip sounds wonderful. Kay

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Sherry

Hi Rita. We will be staying in Praiano for a week in May and I opted to rent us an apartment. When I was researhing, I found lots of listings for places. Most of them were on the Amalfi Coast in the towns other than Praiano, but we wanted to stay a little out of the main tourist areas. One of the websites that helped me find listing was Starnet. You can bring up different towns and it has a lot of information on the area. I do not know what the apartment will exactly be like, I have only seen pictures on the site. But I spoke to the owner and he seems very pleasant. I cannot tell you about agencies because we rented directly. But try this site. It might start you on your way. Have a great time.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Dale

Rita:<BR>What a wonderful trip! I recommend to anyone serious about Italy travel to go to Slowtravelers.com. It's the best!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:51 AM
erica

that's slowtrav.com<BR><BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Vincenzo

Rita, you're very luck to spend two months on Amalfi Coast.<BR>Your ideas and the other suggests are very nice, in my opinion.<BR>I agree with Sherry about Praiano, so charming, so silent and clean, and almost at half road between Positano and Amalfi.<BR>Don't forget Minori, too.<BR>Anyhow, I think you'd consider also the chance to stay in Penisola Sorrentina.<BR>Staying so a long period, Penisola Sorrentina is better to live than Amalfi Coast where you can go daily.<BR>Your weekly budget is good enough for the finest accomodation.<BR>Anyhow, I live here, if I can help you, feel free to e-mail me.<BR>Have a nice trip.<BR>