Experiences with Air India Ltd.

Oct 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Experiences with Air India Ltd.

Still on the hunt for summer air fares to London. Has anyone flown Air India. They are partnered with American for the US portion, but the US portion is a minor consideration. Flying out of Springfield MO and out of DCA, IAD, or BWI. And why is everyone so down on American?
Nov 1st, 2006, 06:17 AM

I flew Air India to Europe in May 2005 and had a really good experience. The ticket was a bargain and the economy class was as good as any other airline I've flown. I had read some very negative things about Air India on message boards, but I guess someone will always have a bad experience somewhere. I would fly Air India again.
Nov 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM

We fly American quite a lot, especially when going to Europe, and I don't think its better or worse than any other airline.
Nov 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM

I've flown Air India twice and found it to be a fine airline - better food than most, in my opinion... but I really like curry.

I flew them to India both times, and it was more the long flight that annoyed me rather than the airline. (And on one return flights I had giardia, so that sucked!) The stewardesses are not the friendliest, but that was my only complaint.
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Never flown Air India, but a friend has, and she said it was terrible: dirty plane, unfriendly staff, etc.

I've flown American and I would never do it again. Leaving O'Hare was a nightmare because of where the gate was situated. The attendants were very rude, esp. considering this was not a red-eye, so everyone was fully awake. The food was pretty rank and they were stingy on the beverages.

Flying home was equally as bad. Because of their terrible customer service out of Heathrow, I missed my early morning flight. Then, instead of putting me on standby for the next flight, they charged me $75 to change my ticket to the 3 hours later flight, which I almost made, yet again, because of their slow systems and slow service. I was literally running through LHR to the gate and the plane was boarding when I got there. I was seated at the very back of the plane so I couldn't recline, for 10 flippin' hours. The flight attendents, yet again, were mean and yet again, the food was rank. And that is why I am so down on American Airlines.

I'd rather pay the extra $100 - $150 to fly British Airways. Which is what I've done on my subsequent trips. I don't work for BA or anything, so this is not an ad. The FA's are nice, the food is good, more seat room and the seats in the last row aren't against the wall. You can recline! Hoorah! Plus, if you are supposedly missing your flight, they will put you on standby for the next without charging you. Also, they didn't charge me for liquor. That made the trip much more enjoyable.