Reload this Page >

Experiences in some German towns...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 08:40 PM
chris

Hi, I'd appreciate some feedback on some <BR>German towns - what other folks liked and didn't like (with out bashing other cultures and rude remarks please) <BR> <BR>What did you folks think of Rothenburg - any first hand recommendations? <BR> <BR>What did you folks think of Berlin - any first hand recommendations? <BR> <BR>What did you folks think of the 'Romantic Road'? I'm going to skip the Ludwig castles and will not be in Munich for Oktoberfest. <BR> <BR>Youth hostel/hotel recommendations and experiences in the area would be HIGHLY appreciated. <BR> <BR>Before anyone suggests that I go elsewhere (I know I'll be missing some wonderful towns/sites) I'm going with some other people and they have determined the itinerary. <BR> <BR>Thanks very much for the friendly and useful advice I will be receiving. THANKS!!!!

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Art

Hi Chris, The romatic road is a very nice drive. I loved Berlin, but it has been many years since I was there (the wall was still up.)

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Philip

Rothenburg is a nice stop, but to me it is "tourist central". It is very much a tourist town. The town even caters to this, (there are about 6 Kathe Wohlfahrt Christmas stores). This town is best enjoyed at night after the tour buses leave. <BR> <BR>I think Berlin is great. So many wonderful things to do. Visit the Reichstag and the Checkpoint Charlie museum. Shop at KaWeDe. Walk down Ku-Damm and Unter den Linden and people watch. You will have a good time in Berlin.

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:41 PM
mast

Hi Chris! <BR>We love Berlin and Regensburg. You need at least 3 to 4 days to explore Berlin and you will never get enough! <BR>Regensburg is very peaceful and relaxing, the bridge is incredible. We stayed at Sorat hotel and loved it. asked for a room that face the bridge and the old town, the view is unbelievable. <BR>Germany is a great country and we really love it.

Old May 7th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Ursula

Chris: I love Hamburg. It has more bridges than Venice and a great pedestrian area. If you should end up there, make sure to go to the fish market. Starts at 4 am or so. The earlier you arrive, the better. <BR>Stayed at the Marriott at the Gänsemarkt in the middle of all.

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Andy

HI chris! <BR> <BR>I also recommend Hamburg. It is a grat town with lots of things to explore. If you like architecture you will find a variety of different styles (town-hall, Speicherstadt/biggest warehouse complex in Europe, the posh areas around the Binnen and Außenalster: Eppendorf, Winterhude...., Blankenese- which appears to be a romantic mediterain harbour-village and a lot more..). If you like museums there is a hugh variety to be seen. For shopping it is also great. The "Mönckeberg Straße" offers loads of german chain stores and stylish department- stores (L-store, Galeria Kaufhof, Karstadt....). In the shopping between the town hall and Gänsemarkt ( called Hanseviertel) you will find exclusive shops for food, furniture and clothes (Versace, Boss, Jil SAnder, Joop!, Yves Saint Laurent, Hermes etc.) <BR>Hamburg is fantastic- go and experience it. <BR>Many greetings, Andy

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Steph

hello, <BR> <BR>I was in Rothemburg last March. I thought it was great. I especially liked the Kriminal Museum. the view of the wall surrounding the city is great and don't forget to take a walk up on the wall. When will you be there? I went at the end of March and even though the weather in Frankfurt (where we were staying) was spring-like. It was VERY cold in Rothenburg! I spent the first hour purchasing (overpriced) gloves, hat and scarf! have a great time! <BR> <BR>Steph

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Russ

Rothenburg is just too discovered, too overwhelmed with tourists, to be enjoyable. The tourist office is curt, the merchants are omnipresent, and the place is like Disneyland without the rides, in my book. The Romantic Road is too congested, and you'll find more interesting towns, in general, if you get off the route and visit the areas either to the east of west (try the Altmuehl Valley and the towns of Eichstaett, Weissenburg, and Pappenheim.) Weikersheim, however, is a town on the RR just north of Rothenburg which I found particularly appealing; it's an authentic town in and of itself, the old town is particularly attractive, and the palace, just steps from the central plaza, makes for a very worthwhile visit (I guess the place is still relatively "undiscovered".) Weikersheim has a well-located and particularly comfortable youth hostel called "Haus der Musik" with small rooms and a terrific breakfast buffet (no age limit as in Bavaria, since it's just over the border.)

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:54 AM
justtrying

Rothenburg can still be enjoyed, even though it has been "discovered". There is a reason why it is such a popular destination. Granted, it can be wall to wall (get it?!) tourists during the season. I would say that I kind of found the town to be a little impersonal (which is understandable considering the number of people who come through). Having said that, I had a wonderful non-conversation with a very nice local. He didn't speak much English and my one word at a time German did not work. SO we gestured and questioned and smiled. Ultimately, we shook hands and parted as friends, without really knowing what the other said. Are there other options, sure, but we enjoyed Rothenburg for a day and a night.

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:23 AM
jim

If you're looking for a quaint, out-of-the-way town that's not on the tourist beat, consider Wertheim. It's about 100 kilometers east of Frankfurt, at the confluence of the Main and Tauber Rivers. You can drive there, but the town also has a train station.

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:03 AM
ellie

We were in Berlin for a week this March and did a lot of museum hopping - many wonderful collections and exhibits - be sure to check out the new Museum of Film at the Sony Center in Potsdamer Platz and the Bauhaus Archive. We also especially enjoyed the zoo. Dont be afraid to use public transportation- the S and U Bahns are very easy to hop on and off and will get you most places fairly easily. Open air flea markets on the weekend were also fun. My husband and son are car nuts and got a kick out of visiting the big showroom for BMW on the KuDam. Be sure to bring along a good pocket dictionary if you dont speak German - we found English speaking waiters and sales clerks to be few and far between. Enjoy!

Old May 7th, 2001, 04:26 PM
anissa

Rothenburg is very touristy, but is a quaint little town. We used to spend Christmas there every year when I was a child. Personally I wouldn't spend more than a day or two there - you can see just about everything in that time frame! The Kriminal museum is very cool and there is a great Christmas ornament store there. <BR> <BR>Berlin has become just about my favorite city. Very vibrant and liberal with lots to see/do. I can't tell you any hostels there as I stay with friends, but for things to see: don't miss the Berliner Dom. It is old East Berlin, and is right across from the Red Reichstag and is within walking distance from the TV tower. Very cool chruch - it is where the Prussian kings were crowned and where they are buried. It also has the second largest organ in the world there - when we were there they actually played it, to this day thinking about it sends chills up my spine. <BR> <BR>My mom is always a big fan of the Romantik Road, but I find many other places in Germany much more satisfying - ie: Trier (actually most of the Eifel area), Lake Constance area. <BR> <BR>Have fun where ever you go!!

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:44 PM
chris

WOW!!! Terrific info!! I'm real excited to go - you folks are terrific! I'm going to go back to the messages now and see if my printer will print them out - gotta save this great advice.

Old May 8th, 2001, 05:00 AM
xxx

I have to cast a vote for Rothenburg as well. I normally depise "tourist towns," but I had to admit that I enjoyed Rothenburg. The Kriminal Museum was interesting at first but after awhile, I thought you saw too much of the same things. We found the city museum (I can't remember if that is it's true name or not) to be much more interesting. If I remember correctly, it is in a "far" corner of the town near the walls. We also enjoyed the city park as well.

Old May 8th, 2001, 09:51 AM
jambon

I thought the Romantic Road was overrated--I've heard people say it was named that as a PR stunt to get more tourists there. It's nice but not extraordinary. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg is worth it, but 1 day is enough. I second the person above who suggested seeing Rothenburg at night--many tourists just come for the day. In the evening it is a magical place to walk around. Try to stay in the city center, and in the evenings (at 8pm last time I was there) there is a tour of the town by the "night watchman". Meet at the town hall. It's kitschy and fun and I'd recommend it, especially if you've just arrived that afternoon or evening. Have a great trip--we loved Germany!

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Dave

I've been to Rothenburg a few times and I always find something new. During the rebuilding they have tried to preserve the architectural integrity. One day is probably enough, unless you stay in Rothenburg and explore from there. It is a beautiful city. <BR> <BR>One of my fvaorite streets in town is the one with the Gilded Signs hanging over the street. Really cool. Of course the McDonalds (mit McBier) has one too.

Old May 11th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Lucy

Rothenburg is uber-touristy, yes, but it's still beautiful. Definitely spend the night -- it's magical once the tour busses leave. <BR> <BR>Haven't been to Berlin since 1993, but I found it to be one of the most exciting cities in Europe in that it's a caldron of every artistic, cultural and political movement on the continent. It's not about visiting history, it's about making it. Very cool. <BR> <BR>The Romantic Road was gorgeous in the fall. The best part is just pulling over into little towns where you see a church steeple that attracts you. You can find your own treasures that way. Too bad you're skipping Ludwig's castles; they're surreal. Heavily touristed, of course. <BR> <BR>Don't know about hostels, but southern Germany is rife with little B&Bs with "Zimmer Frei" signs hanging outside. You can find reasonable accomodations just about anywhere. Berlin is a different story; I'd suggest doing some research there. As I remember, it's an expensive city.