Excursions From Budapest - No Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be joining my husband for about 10 days in Budapest later this month. I'm happy to be returning to this great city - last time was '94, so the changes should be interesting.
I'll be on my own during the days, and do NOT want to rent a car to drive out to other towns/regions. I'm simply not comfortable being the sole driver in a country where I know so little of the geography and language. (I can get by in most western languages and even a bit of Mandarin, but the Magyar dialect is a whole other beast.)
So although I DETEST organized tours, it looks like I may need to do a few day trips via coach or private guide. Does anyone here have feedback (good, bad, or ugly) re: organized tours out of Budapest? Any advice most appreciated. Or if you know any GOOD private guides, I'd love to hear about them.
Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Rod

There are lots of tours, but for me, the best deal is the day-long "Danube Bend" trip covering Esztergom, Szentendre and Visegrad. Cityrama is one of the better operators.

Eger is another great city to visit, doable on your own in a day (preferably with a guide book) and accessable by bus and possibly train, although we drove.

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Danube Bend is an excellent suggestion. If you would just like to visit Szentendre, take the metro and then a taxi into town. Walk about, window shop, visit stores, have lunch, etc. and then walk to the pier to catch the hydrofoil back to Budapest.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll look into the Danube Bend - two of those towns have historical interest for me, so I may skip the Cityrama tour and just hydrofoil to spend a day in each of them. Will also research transit to Eger.

Has anyone here hired a private guide?
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:05 AM

Can't help with a guide, but here are a few web sites that might come in handy:

http://www.budpocketguide.com/

http://www.huembwas.org/Tourist%20Info/1.htm

http://www.fsz.bme.hu/hungary/budapest/

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Without knowing your budget it's difficult.A private guide/driver can easily be arranged by your concierge at a very reasonable rate as compared to London, Paris etc. I think we paid $60.00 per hour for a partial day and he dropped us off at a town up river where we toured ourselves then we took the boat ride back to Budapest.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Giovanna: Thanks for those online links!

MMargate: I've had spotty luck with concierge-arranged guides. Many are just glorified taxi drivers, although some have been good. I guess I'm hoping for more of a docent-style guide, or local history expert who speaks some English and wants to make some extra cash. One can always dream.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Jetlag: without knowing your budget It is hard to give you precise advice.We stayed at Hilton castle Hill and our guide was excellent,not glorified taxi driver,his benz however was 10 years old.Since our trip the Four seasons has opened and any place we go if there is a Four Seasons we stay there.If you have the budget you will always be more than satisified.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi MMargate,

Sorry, I did forget to address the budget question - for a private guide in Budapest, I would go as high as $300USD per day, excluding petrol and other incidentals. This, of course, would depend on the guide and the itinerary.

My experience seems to have been different from yours - I simply haven't found a correlation between "best" hotels and "best" guides arranged through concierge. Some of the five-star properties are simply not used to dealing with travellers who want something other than a coddling experience. They are also conditioned to guests who wish to see the world through rose-coloured glasses, while I'm far happier to acknowledge the warts. Having said that, one of my best guide experiences was through the concierge at the Princess in Beijing. I had to be very diplomatic in order to get some "rules" bent, but I ended up with an experience of a lifetime. I guess IMX it comes down to the individual concierge, not the hotel chain or price range.

And yes, the Four Seasons operates some marvelous properties.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Hi Jetlag,I think your budget could work In Budapest,I doubt it will be enough for 8 hours through a place like 4 seasons,but it's possible.I have found that by already having an idea of where I want to go instead of where they have in mind helps.I would also explain my expectations before handing over any money.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:39 AM

JetLag: Glad the links were of some help.

I know you didn't request any hotel info, but we had a real gem in Budapest last year. It is on the Buda side with glorious views of the Danube, Chain Bridge and Parliament Buildings. We don't stay in 5* hotels in Europe and avoid the chains like the plague. The hotel is Hotel Victoria ([email protected])and a real find at the price (we paid €102) with breakfast included. All rooms have huge picture windows and the views are spectacular (must be on upper floor obviously). The location was very good for metro/train (to Szentendre for example). Several restaurants nearby, including a very good French restaurant a block over behind the hotel. We had an excellent meal there in a very pleasant outside setting.

Staff was exceptional for help with sightseeing, arranging tours, etc. If anyone can find you a good private guide they could, particularly Gabriella (she is a jewel).
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Giovanna,

Thanks for the hotel rec - I have seen the Victoria listed (probably in Fodor's) and it appears to be an interesting little property. Unfortunately, we are not choosing our accommodations this time - we will stay wherever my husband's firm puts us (he's there on business). He reminded me this a.m. that some of his local colleagues will try to help me with guides and non-touristy sightseeing. However, I do like to have my own back-up plans...

I know what you mean about avoiding the chains - while we do stay in them for business or when using points on last-minute get-aways, we also enjoy more unique places.

Perhaps I will give Gabriella a call anyway, and tell her you sent me.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:54 AM

JetLag: I was afraid since your husband is on business, the hotel would be his employer's choice, but hopefully you will be located well.

A couple of things we did that I enjoyed: Taking the elevator to the dome of St. Stevens Cathedral and then walking a short flight of stairs to reach the top. We walked about outside and the view of the city was spectacular.

We took an evening cruise on the Danube. Was fun looking at all the buildings and bridges all lit up, while floating along sipping complimentary champagne.

We thought Budapest was wonderful and I'm sure you'll find lots of things to do while your husband conducts business. The contrast should be interesting for you since your last visit was a decade ago.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Giovanna,

Yes, they (the company) are working on a suitable location to accommodate my sightseeing needs. I think it will be the Intercontinental. Or the Marriott.

Your link to the Hungary consulate has proven quite helpful re: sourcing an informative local guide. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:55 AM

The Marriott is a good choice, as it sits similarly to the Victoria, right on the river but on the Pest side, just the other side of the Chain Bridge. We saw it many times from the outside. We didn't go inside the hotel, but I think the location would be great. Please do let me know about the guide. Glad the sites are helping you.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Budapest is a great city. But if you have never been to Vienna, it can be done as (long) daytrip from Budapest.
Also, don't miss the wonderful old fashioned spas in Pest. Great fun and very relaxing.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Giovanna: The Intercontinental is also right near the Chain Bridge, on the Pest side, with some great views (if you get the right room). So I think I'll be happy with either that or the Marriott. The fall-back will be the Hilton (Castle Hill), which I think is fine, too.

Cruisinred: I've spent time in Vienna, so will be concentrating on Budapest and Hungary this trip. But yes, for anyone interested I think adding Vienna via the river would be a lovely idea.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Well if you are on your own and want a half-day trip here are two suggestions that you can do by public transport, if you so choose:

1. Take the southern subway to the end of the line and, crossing the road, take the suburban surface railway (called HEV, as you probably know) to Godollo, to see the royal summer palace -- immaculately restored and very intimate. Home of Franz Joszef and his empress. Quite feasible on your own.

2. Head south on the Buda side to Nagyteteny (pron. roughly Nudge-té-teng) a former villa-palace with a very fine, self-guiding exhibition of furniture from medieval to neo-classical times. You can take a local train from the Deli train station (palyaudvar is the Hungarian word) or a fast local bus from the Buda side.

Now these both sound like a lot of work. Worth the effort, though, in my opinion, if you want to see historic buildings and furnishings. And Godollo can also be seen on some local guided tours.