Excursion to Chamonix?

Sep 9th, 2001, 05:09 PM
lon

Excursion to Chamonix?

We will be on tour next June with two nights at Annecy.. There is an excursion to Chamonix available..Can anyone give any advice? Is Chamonix worth the trip or will we have enough to see and do in Annecy?

Sep 9th, 2001, 05:53 PM
gbg

I haven't been to Annecy. But, I've been to Chamomix. Chamonix is a great little city to visit. A trip up the telephrique is worth the time and expense.

Sep 10th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Russell

I've been to Annecy several times and suggest that there's plenty to keep you busy for two days. I would not bother with the trip to Chamonix. It will probably take a good part of the day for the roundtrip, which makes little sense to me. Megeve, which is quite a bit closer, is far more attractive. The city of Annecy is beautifully situated on one of the prettiest lakes in Europe. Plus it has canals running through it. I might suggest that you take one of the boats that cruise around the lake, seeing especially Talloires, if you have time.

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Bill

One would go mainly to Chamonix for the mountains, and the ride across the glacier into Italy I should think. Indeed you'd use up the better part of a day with such. Not having been to Annency I can't help with a judgement as to relative merit for your time.

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Pedro

Almost no other mountain range in Europa can compare with Mont-Blanc grandiosity, and Chamonix is situated just below offering great views from the valley and access to anyone of the viewpoints over the range. So if you want to rest Annecy a wonderful place, and the lake quite picturesque and scenic, but if you like huge mountains always covered by snow I would strongly suggest you to make that trip. But I would say that it is an easy trip by yourself, by train, having to change before getting there, but always offering sweeping views over the mountain. We did the Montenvers railway and it was breathtaking. We also spent a relaxed afternoon in Annecy lake renting a water pedal, we were glad we did since we could even have a swim in the clear waters of the lake.