Reload this Page >

Exchanging money in Paris..car rental to Normandy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 09:04 AM
PT

I really enjoy this forum . Its so helpful..when I fly into Paris (Orly) when and where do I exchange dollars for francs? Do I do it in the states before hand? Also, Ill need a car for 2 days for a drive out of Paris. I need advice as to the best company for convience and cost and info on driving to the WW2 beaches in Normandy...Thanx Patty

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 09:22 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Use an ATM in the airport to draw Francs out of your checking account. Sorry, can't help you with the car rental.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 09:28 AM
martha

Can't tell you who to rent from but can tell you NOT to use the on-line booking at www.france.com. The site lists a phone number, but there's no one there, which was a huge (read: expensive) problem when we got to France and the agency didn't have our reservation.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 09:28 AM
martha

Can't tell you who to rent from but can tell you NOT to use the on-line booking at www.france.com. The site lists a phone number, but there's no one there, which was a huge (read: expensive) problem when we got to France and the agency didn't have our reservation.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 11:23 AM
elvira

I have about $100 in local currency when I land, so I can get a coffee or a soda before I have to deal with an ATM... or if the train is leaving for the city, I can grab it and worry about the ATM later. <BR>Rent a car before you leave the U.S. Hertz, Avis, etc. all have overseas rentals. At least you'll have a phone number that works (p.s. Martha, thanks for the heads up re www.france; I was looking at that site for renting this fall. I'll ixnay that omay...). <BR>We've had good luck arranging and confirming in $US with Hertz. <BR>There's a good Michelin map of Normandy; there's also a Michelin map of Normandy on D-Day with all the assaults marked, who went where, etc. Worth the money when trying to envision what was going on. There's a museum in Bayeux with all sorts of D-Day stuff - guns, mortars, canteens, etc. - plus an exhibit about the whole thing. They even have one of Monty's red beret's. <BR>At Omaha Beach there's a restaurant between the road and the cliffs. Pretty touristy, but you can't beat the location.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 06:09 AM
selma

try www.carwiz.com for a quote for your car. depending of the type of car you want depends the company that will offer the cheapest price. <BR>i am going to paris, and i am using hertz (the best price for my type of car), and will alos get frwuant flyer mileage.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 07:46 AM
wes fowler

Patty, <BR>I've rented autos in Europe many, many times. Invariably either Kemwel or AutoEurope or Europcar have considerably cheaper rates that Hertz or Avis. They all have websites; do a search for them and compare.