Exchanging Money in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - Trying to figure out the best way to exchange $$ while in Italy. I am flying into Venice and returning out of Rome. Was thinking stopping at an ATM while at Venice airport and picking up some Euro there. I thought I would get the best exchange rates that way. Any other suggestions? Would you recommend at least exchanging some Euro before I arrive? Also, are there as many ATM machines in Rome/Florence/Venice as we usually see in the US? Thanks for the advice...Laura
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:36 AM

That would be my advice -- get them at the airport when you arrive from the ATM. That will give you the best rate.

Some prefer to get some before leaving the states -- you get a lousy exchange rate, but if it makes one feel warm & fuzzy, go for it. I always get mine when I arrive Europe from the ATM.

There are ATM's everywhere in Europe. That will be the least of your worries.

Have a nice trip.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:36 AM
ira

Hi ima,

We usually exchange $50-100 at the departure airport so as not to have to bother with ATMs on arrival.

You get much better exchange rates at ATMs in Europe.

>...are there as many ATM machines in Rome/Florence/Venice as we usually see in the US?<

When it comes to ATMs, the US is a dveloping country compared to Italy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:38 AM

On our recent trip, I was happy to have a small amount of Euro with me (100) when we arrived. (On our last trip to Paris, we waited until arrival only to find out the train station did not have a cash station!!) Then I was advised to use the ATM as the best exchange rate and that is what we did. I also read that you should have the VISA logo on your cash station card, as some of the systems in Italy only accepted that one. Ours already was VISA. Sometimes machines were out of money on the weekend, so we always stocked up a small amount before it became a problem. Have fun!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:14 AM

ATMs are pretty much everywhere. But if you are going to be visiting very small places, there might not be an ATM. Get cash before heading out into the boondocks.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:11 AM

ATMs are EVERYWHERE in Italy..even in some of the smallest villages. The only thing I've seen in Italy which is more plentiful is/are cell phones!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM

I was going to say that "Exchanging money in Italy" sounds about as outdated as saying "Getting a Chariot in Rome". No one with travel savvy does currency exchange any more.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:44 AM

It is not uncommon for one ATM to not work for your card, but the one on the next block will work. This only happened to me twice, but don't be alarmed.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:33 AM

Some of the smallest villages are not "everywhere." Only if ATMs were in all of the smallest villages would they be everywhere--and they aren't. Same with every country in the world--there are towns and villages without ATMs. Most tourists don't go to such places, but IF you are one who does, then you will need to be sure to have cash on hand.