Reload this Page >

Ever stayed in convent in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 08:17 AM
Rhonda

If you stayed at Fraterna Domus or Le Suore di Lourdes, please tell me about your experiences. Are they coveniently lacated to the major attractions? Can you walk from there? Location is very important to me. How was food? We are not Catholics, does it make any difference? Did you have your private bathromm? Having a private bathroom is very important to my husband.Any other suggestions will be appreciated. We are looking for a quiet, inexpensive place. Thanks.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 05:16 PM
Lenore

Hello Rhonda <BR> <BR>I'm interested in both those two convents too. Here is what I've come across in my readings but not from actually being there. <BR>Fraterna Domus - Via Mont Brianzo, 62 Tele (06) 688 02727 Fax (06) 683 2691 <BR>Situated close to the Tiber. Good for walkers. The Vatican, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trastevere, Spanish Steps and most of the ancient city can be visited without a vehicle. Bedrooms are adequate, there is a flower-filled rooftop terrace where guests can enjoy the views of the city. Some English is spoken by the Sisters. Curfew: 11:00 Credit Cards not accepted. Cost about $50-60 for double. Does mention bathrooms. But I'm not sure if they mean 'all' the rooms. From Termini Station take bus #70. <BR> <BR>Nostra Signora di Lourdes - Via Sistina, 113 Tel (06) 474 5324 Fax (06) 474 1422 <BR>Located by the Spanish Steps. Curfew: They impose a strict curfew 10:30p. Sounds like there's more activity in that area because it says to ask for a <BR>room facing the interior courtyard so as not to hear the scooters flying by on the Via Sistina. Rooms are small and simple. French is spoken, but there's a woman who speaks English at <BR>the desk during the day. Also a rooftop Terrace to enjoy city views. <BR>They have a price of $50 for double. Credit Cards not accepted. Bathrooms are <BR>mentioned in some of the rooms but I would ask just to make sure. From Termini Station take metro A to Barberini and walk up the hill to Via Sistina. <BR> <BR>That's about the best I can give you without being there. Perhaps someone can fill in more details who has stayed there. I'm not sure about the costs, since I don't know how old these prices are. <BR> <BR>There are three more convents that I came across that you might like to check. <BR>One is called Hotel Siso located Via dei Pettinari, 64; the other is Istituto Santa Giulianna Falconieri, Via Calasanzio, 1; and Suore di Nostra Signora Del Buon Soccorso, Via degli Artisti, 38. <BR>I'm also having a difficult time in deciding which would be the best place with easy access to the sights. <BR>Hope this helps some though. If you've come across anything further, please let me know. <BR>Lenore <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:27 PM
gb

We stayed at the Casa Beata Caini Margherita in Rome last June. (me, husband, and 2 daughters) The rooms were plain, sort of hospital like, exceptionally clean, great new bathroom, quiet building, sweet sisters, and great location walking distance to the Vatican, and local shopping. All for less than $70 US a night. Highly recommend it, and there was not 'show you are Catholic card' so I assume anyone can stay. If you don't mind a curfew of 10 or 11 pm, you will enjoy the hospitality of convents.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 03:51 PM
Emma

Did you make reservations before going?

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:27 PM
gb

Absolutely, with such a great price, and great location (relative to the Vatican), the rooms are solidly booked. We made our reservation 6 months ahead.