Evenings in Amsterdam

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:12 AM
R

Evenings in Amsterdam

We are due to arrive in Amsterdam late in the evening and are looking for ideas of things to do on the first evening in Amsterdam. It will probobly be around 10:00 pm. when we settle in our hotel.
Is food still available at that time?
Are most neighborhoods safe at night?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Larry

Amsterdam is definitely a late night town. In tourist parts of town there's lots of choices even after midnight especially on Fridays and Saturdays less so on Sundays. I'd say though that the best thing to do after eating is to go to bed to get into the new timezone swing of things- probably not what you intended. When I go out at night my rule is to not have anything in an outside pocket as pickpocketing is the most likely crime against tourists. I never carry my passport or any more money than I'll be needing that night and I always use the ATMs early in the day to avoid even carrying my cards. I work in San Francisco and compared to Amsterdam San Fran is much more dangerous at night. The Red Light District can be a little weird late at night but mostly from happy drunks. I've traveled solo 3 of the 4 times I've been in Amsterdam always staying out and about 'til past 2 AM and have only had 1 bad experience- a pickpocket got my BIC lighter from an outside pocket. Traveling in a group substantially lowers your risk. Anybody with large city USA experience will be pleasantly surprised how crime free Amsterdam is, especially violent crimewise.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Bill

Hit the Leidseplein (sp?) for a good assortment of late-night places. The dance clubs don't really get into a serious groove until almost midnight, and the very funny English language improv comedy club, Boom Chicago, sometimes has midnight shows.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Julie

If you check out www.timeout.com and go to Amsterdam that should give you a head start on what is going on upon arrival. And as Larry mentioned, Amsterdam is definitely a late night town. And as Bill mentioned the Leidseplein are is usually always hopping. That said, however, restaurants a lot of restaurants don't usually stay open very late. If you're into Indonesian food there a great/cheap place that is open very late called Bojos:

Bojo (Budget)
Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 51
Amsterdam
020/622-7434 phone
This is an Indonesian restaurant that is cheap, filling and has the added feature of staying open late (Sunday-Thursday from 5:00 pm-2:00 am and Friday-Saturday until 5:30 am). Also has a lot of great vegetarian options on the menu.

Most neighborhoods are safe, if in doubt, when you check in ask the front desk what areas they think you should avoid. But just use common sense (like in any city). For the most part Amsterdam is a very safe city.

Have a great trip.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:39 AM
R

Thanks
Taking your advice we will head for Leidseplein and maybe try Bojo.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:59 AM
ldsant

I don't think that AMS is safe at all! I was robbed by three men last week (pushed down as well) on the steps of my hotel which was in a "good" location. I have travelled solo all over Europe for weeks and months at a time and (luckily!) have never had this experience. Can't say that Amsterdam is rated on my top 10 list now! Be careful. And yes, food is always plentiful at all hours it seems (much of it is junk food though). Two great restaurants that I tried:

1. Taj Mahal - Indian restaurant - very good, great service
2. Qunto's Cafe - Dutch prepared. Again, excellent food.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Bill

Amsterdam is very safe for a big city. I never felt the least bit hesitant to walk around after midnight. There are apparently a fair number of pickpockets (though we never encountered one), so take the usual sensible precautions.

I'm not sure what the previous poster is referring to re most of Amsterdam's food being "junk food". Didn't seem that way to us at all. I'm sure you could get that impression in any city in Europe or America (including Paris and New York) if you were only noticing the gaudy signs of McDonalds and similar places.