Reload this Page >

Evening in Paris, Your Favorite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 09:21 AM
Sherrie

My husband and I will be in Paris for seven nights in Sept. Would anyone like to share their most memorable evening in Paris? Thank you (Merci) <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 09:53 AM
Lee

Sherrie: Hey, it's you again! By the way, you are welcome. We all use this forum and everyone gets something from it, I'm sure. <BR> <BR>I think that our first evening in Paris was best. I had been there before, (80's) when I lived in Frankfurt, but to visit it with my wife on her first trip was really special. <BR> <BR>We arrived in the morning and took the RER to our hotel in the Latin Quarter. We had breakfast nearby and then went back to our hotel to rest for awhile. We showered and left our room around 5:00PM and took the Metro to Bir Hakeim, near the Eiffel Tower. It was in January and already dark when we emerged from the subway and getting our bearings, I was trying to figure out which way to the tower. My wife found it right around the corner and all lit up, hovering above us just two blocks away. It was spectacular! My wife's expression of amazement was really something to see. It was a very mild evening, with no wind, so of course we went up to the top, stopping on each level and even going outside. What a view of the city! We must have spent three hours there and then went back to St. Michel on the Metro. We had dinner (very good pasta and French wine) at a cozy little place near to our hotel which had a piano and guitar duet on hand. After a stroll through the neighborhood, we made it back to our hotel after midnight. It was fun. <BR> <BR>Our other evenings were fun, also, but that first one just stands out. <BR> <BR>Hope all of yours are memorable ones! Have fun! <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 01:01 PM
Neal Sanders

Sherrie, Paris is conducive to memorable evenings. Here are a few that come to mind.... <BR> <BR>-- Walking from our hotel near the Tuileries to a restaurant in the 7th arr. After a wonderful dinner at a small, neighborhood restaurant, walking back to our hotel, pausing on the Pont Royale to watch the Bateaux Mouche ply the Seine, kissing when their searchlights sweep across us up on the bridge. <BR> <BR>-- Promenading on the Trocadero at sunset, watching the sky change color behind the Eiffel Tower, listening to the multi-lingual sales pitches from the purveyors of souvenirs and bric-a-brac. <BR> <BR>-- Eating an after-dinner gelato in the park behind the Notre Dame cathedral on a warm autumn evening, listening to someone play their concertina for the tourists. <BR> <BR>-- Emerging from the Tour d'Argent at 10:30 p.m. after having one of the most expensive meals of our lives, and seeing ourselves be critically eyed by those who saw us come out of the restaurant's entrance; holding our heads a little higher as if to say, "yes, we ate there." And then laughing about it all the way back to the hotel. <BR> <BR>-- Window shopping on the Rue St. Honore as we walk off yet another gastronomic feast; trying to figure out if we've misplaced a decimal point or if someone could really charge that much for a dress or a piece of jewelry. <BR> <BR>-- Standing at midnight, out on our tiny balcony overlooking the Places de las Etas Unis, listening to the cacaphony of tinny car horns below and French from the apartments around us; realizing with sheer awe that we are really in France.

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 05:31 PM
Donna

My husband and I spent seven nights in Paris, and it's really tough to pick the MOST memorable, but here's one of them. We had dinner at Vagenende on Blvd. St. Germain. Spectacularly gorgeous (almost like Maxims, tres Belle Epoque but not "over the top"). The menu was full of the classics and the food was wonderful (and reasonably priced, for Paris). There was a terrific jazz combo with a fabulous female vocalist. It was obvious that the folks patronizing this restaurant come there often. Except for the de rigeur maitre'd, the service was incredibly friendly. I know my way around a French menu, but a waiter was bringing everything he was about to serve past a table next to us of two American couples so they could peruse the offerings. After that, we walked over to L'Hotel (where Oscar Wilde spent his last days). Past an ordinary looking entrance is a spectacular staircase next to the check-in desk. Worth the (short) walk just to see this. We had after dinner drinks in the cocktail lounge. To describe it would spoil the surprise. Incredibly, we had the place to ourselves (probably because we dined early and everyone else was at dinner) along with a charming bartender from Africa who was delighted with the opporuntity to practice his English with us. After that, we walked over to Deux Magots. No matter how "touristy" anyone tells you this place is, it is amazing. I took a photo of the table after our selections were served it was so astonishing. Just watching the passing parade is enjoyable, not to mention entertaining. We met lots of folks from all over and had a fabulous time while enjoying our nightcaps. Grabbed a taxi at the stand right across the street to return to the hotel. Then, there was the night we...

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 06:35 PM
Maribeth

My husband and I were just there last week for the first time--the best evening we had lasted until over 1:00 a.m. because we walked and walked by the Seine and then ended up by Notre Dame, where a street artist (Stanislav) sketched my portrait for 250,000 ff. It's a wonderful memory for us both as we have it hanging in our office now. Enjoy your trip immensely--especially those late night walks by the river.

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 03:42 AM
Sherrie

Dear Friends: Thank you for opening up your souls with your most treasured memories of romantic Paris. I'm sure everyone who will read your mesgs. will also be moved by reading your experiences. I've printed your memoires and will take them along with us. Bless you, Lee, Neal, Donna and Maribeth for taking the time to share them with us. Thanks to many fine people like yourselves, our trip will be a greater experience than we would have had if I wouldn't have found this forum. Thank you very much. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 04:13 AM
Neal Sanders

Maribeth: <BR> <BR>Talk about misplacing a decimal! Tell me you didn't pay 250,000 francs for a sketch! By my reckoning, that's about $50,000.... <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 05:45 AM
caryn

The Latin Quarter and Blvd. St. Germain area is great. Also, not too far from there, is Rue Mouffetard, a terrific street with restaurants, bars, a great place to stroll.

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 10:19 AM
Meg

My most memorable evening in Paris was on our honeymoon. We had dinner at Jules Verne located in the Eiffel Tower with a great bottle of wine. After watching night fall over Paris from the restaurant, we sat under the Tower to decide where to go next. We hailed a taxi and headed to the Crazy Horse Saloon. We arrived a few minutes before show time, were seated in the fourth row and ordered a bottle of champagne. The show was great. It's a night on the town that we'll never forget!