Eurostar trip and also Paris accommodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked my RTW ticket and will be in Paris for only 4 days late October. I then fly out from London.

Would Eurostar trip be something I should not miss or will it be too much hassle then trying to get to Heathrow in which case would it be better to fly from Paris into Heathrow if doable?

Do you know if apartments in Paris rent for periods less than a week?

Would a mid-budget hotel( the Ritz would be nice but is waay above my budgetary station!!) be better for such a short time? I am thinking of the Marais area - am travelling alone, fem and post 40
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Can you fly into Heathrow on your RTW ticket, or would it be a separate ticket? Do you have any interest in visiting London?
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I should have been clearer about my route which is Sydney-Los Angeles-NYC-Istanbul-Poland( several weeks)-Paris- HK(but making my own way to Heathrow from which the flight will depart)-Sydney.

The route is pretty much locked in and to change it would incur penalties.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:40 PM

I wouldn't recommend flying into Heathrow on your day of departure - missing your flight to Oz could be rather embarrassing financially.

So unless your flight to Heathrow is part of your RTW, I'd just take the Eurostar - you may find BTW that a return ticket works out cheaper than a one-way ticket, or pretending to be American when registering on the Eurostar website gives a cheaper one-way ticket

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 04:43 AM
ira

Hi A,

The cheap one-way routes from Paris don't go to LHR. See www.whichbudget.com.

AirFrance flies CDG/LHR for about 130E. You have to buy a RT ticket.

I also suggest taking the Eurostar and spending at least one night in London.

I wouldn't bother with an apt for such a short stay in Paris.

What's your budget?

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM

cheapest one way ticket unless you're over 59 or under 26 is the Day Return fare at about $102 if you can get the lowest tiered fare

Be prepared to leave very early in the morning as would bona fide day returners as IME these fares are only available on the earliest trains. One-way senior or youth fares can be cheaper

buy your eurostar ticket as early as possible - up to nine months in advance to get those cheaper fares or you could pay much much more in wait until paris or a few months ahead.

Youth, senior fares changeable once in Europe without penalty (subject to availability of new reservation in that category) - day return not

www.eurostar.com or thru raileurope in Australia - sometimes cheaper.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM

If your flight leaves Heathrow late enough in the day that you're tempted to take the Eurostar in the morning of that same day, check the Eurostar timetables carefully. While you can be in London by 08:00 on weekdays, on Saturday the earliest you'll arrive is 10:00 and on Sunday it's 12:00.

It's one hour by tube (Piccadilly line) directly from King's Cross St. Pancras to Heathrow. It would be a little faster--but a lot more expensive--to take the tube from King's Cross to Paddington and the Heathrow Express from there to LHR.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your assistance. While I have been in both London and Paris before I haven't tried to connect the two and your comments have been most useful
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What time is your flight out of LHR? If it is in the morning, I'd personally go to London the night before.

If the flight is in the early afternoon - then flying from CDG to LHR is an option.

And if the LHR flight out is in the late afternoon/evening -- then you could take the train or fly.