Eurostar prices, Ashford to Paris RT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (myself, wife, and 10-year-old daughter) will be in Kent during August, and are thinking of taking a 1 or 2 day trip to Paris--that is, at most one evening in France. Based on other considerations, it looks like we'll be leaving on a Saturday morning, and returning either that evening or on Sunday evening. On the Eurostar site, the cheapest fare I could find was $396 round trip. But people here seem to be quoting less expensive rates. Is this simply because we're travelling on a weekend, or because it's the summer, or because occasional sales haven't kicked in yet? Or am I just missing something? Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM

Is that per person?
I do know that prices can vary wildly. I was looking at prices in excess of 300 euros one-way Paris to London on the internet, but when I dropped into a travel agency in Chartres only a week before I wanted to go, she got me one for 114 euros return! (I didn't use the return of course).
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Just rechecked; it appears to be $398 for the family, so far as I can tell.
Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM

If you click on "Travel Information" on the Eurostar website you'll get a list of options including "Fares".

The cheapest fares for 2 adults & a child are €284 which is $368 - Adult €106, child €72

I don't know where the extra $30 comes from unless you are booking through another website like Raileurope
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I checked on RailEurope, which quoted the fare in dollars. I then got onto the Eurostar web site, as you suggested, but while the Travel Information tab did list the fares you indicated, when I tried to book online I was quoted the higher amount (in dollars). It's strange.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM

One thing that I discovered is that UK folk can only book up to May whilst Americans could book up to August and beyond
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM

The fare you found is not bad for the whole family to Paris over an weekend. You won't find much cheaper by waiting/booking from here.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM

This $30 thing.

When I pretend to be American on Eurostar I get prices in Euro. I wonder if Eurostar have jumped on the DCC bandwagon when they present you with a price in USD.

Might be an idea to clear your Eurostar cookies from your computer and type in the same itinerary but pretending to be Belgian or French
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

That's an interesting idea (clearing the cookies but pretending to be French or Belgian). Wonder if they'd mail the tickets to me here in the States?
Meanwhile, I have to see if I can justify the expense. If we stay overnight, it's a hotel in Paris (versus a B&B in the UK). Some people have recommended staying on the outskirts to save money, but with this short a visit I think I'd rather stay closer to the things we want to see.
Thanks for the advice.