eurostar between Paris and London

Jul 11th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

eurostar between Paris and London

Is it worth it to pay first class for eurostar between Paris and London? The difference is about $60 per ticket one way.
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Intrepid

I bet almost everyone who responds will say "no" including moi!

Jul 11th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Maira

No.

Jul 11th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Another No.
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

I see there's quite a difference of opinions!
Jul 11th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Intrepid

Spend that $60 + you just saved on some good French food after you arrive. Enjoy your trip!

Jul 11th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Necessary? No. Worth it? Yes, I feel it is an affordable indulgence.
Jul 11th, 2003, 03:33 PM

I went first class once when I could get a deal through work and the difference was really low.

To be honest I'd say it's not worth it either.

The seating is exactly the same - no difference in leg room etc - it's perfectly adequate, as are seats but it's not like on a plane where seats are different etc.

You get a meal served to you which is nice enough but nothing to write home about.

I understand there is a premium first class where they do a much posher meal service at white linen tables etc but that's more than standard first class, as it were.

I'd suggest going to a really GOOD cafe or supermarket and getting a luxury picnic hamper and going standard class.

What I do make sure is that I get a booking for seats with a table not just the fold down surface on the seat back infront of me.

Imagine with only $60 for the both of you you could get the most amazing picnic hamper...
Jul 11th, 2003, 03:45 PM

I've traveled both and for the deciding factor was First was much more quiet and relaxed. Second was a zoo, screaming children running everywhere, etc. I hated that. You could hardly relax and look out the window without a posse of unruly kids smashing into your arm. For the $120 total, I would do it.
Jul 12th, 2003, 01:25 AM

iangf
Sounds horrible!
I've been lucky - I've used the service a number of times (in Standard apart from that once in First) and I've never been disturbed by other passengers.
I guess it may be about when I've travelled as it's not been in school breaks usually.
Jul 12th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Intrepid

As I said earlier, "almost everybody" will say no....bought the tickets yet?

Jul 12th, 2003, 03:52 AM

I say YES, YES, YES *if* it won't have a big impact on your overall travel budget. I've traveled Eurostar several times both in Standard and Business (second and first) and I'll take business any day of the week. The seats are better, the service is better, and I find the experience much more serene in business.
But it's your trip, your choice. FYI, if you do go standard and want a window seat, do NOT accept an assignment of seats 22 or 52. Those seats don't have windows, just walls of the train.
Jul 12th, 2003, 04:10 AM

I would not spend the $ on the Eurostar between P and L. The clientel is generally well behaved. As for the screaming children that is also possible in 1st. @nd is more than adequate. It is not a bad trip. There is a food beverage car. Have fun.

Search this Thread