Search

Euros or GBP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 08:53 AM
s!

Euros or GBP?

I am headed to London for a few days. I will convert some dollars here in the USA for travel cash. Should I take Euros or Pounds?

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Jamie

I'm assuming you're a troll, but just in case, Euros are not in use in currency yet. Unless you plan on making a $100,000 trade on the commodities market, Euros won't do you much good at this point. <BR> <BR>Watch the news for once.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Rose

S! has posted here before, although I thought she left already for London (?) <BR> <BR>mmm... <BR> <BR>But just in case this is a legitimate question: to further Jamie's advise, any transactions on your Visa/MC will be Euros translated into your domestic currency.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 09:04 AM
s!

Jamie: <BR> <BR>I am not what you call a "Troll". I thought a troll was someone who had another motive for posting a question. <BR> <BR>Why would anyone have such a nasty response to such a simple question? <BR> <BR>Everywhere I went in Paris they had a Euro price next to the price in Francs. <BR> <BR>Thank you Rose. I leave in a couple of weeks. <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Angela

Hi everywhere in Continental Europe shows the price in Euros alongside their own national currency. Euro notes and coins though will not be available on continental Europe until January 2002. The UK will keep it's own currency for the moment and has no plans to adopt the Euro as yet. <BR>Angela

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Rose

Hi S! I think Jamie thought you were a troll because your post sounds like a trick question as GB is not in the European Union. And hence, my advice above is misleading and realtes to EU countries only...Sorry about that! <BR> <BR>Any EU country transactions on your Visa/MC will be in Euros translated to Domestic. <BR> <BR>GB still uses the pound and any transactions on your Visa/MC will be in GBP translated to domestic. I hope this helps and have a great trip!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Jane

The UK *is* in the European Union, but (along with Denmark, Sweden etc) not in the single currency/Euro-zone or whatever it's called

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Rose

Jane, they DID sign on? I though the UK was taking a wait-and-see approach to the EU idea. What's the scoop? <BR> <BR>I watch the new, read the papers, but I'm missing something here. Enquiring minds want to know!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 10:29 AM
Sheila

It's no wonder we wonder! <BR> <BR>Britain acceded to the Treaty of Rome, thus joining the European Union (then called the European Economic Community) following a referendum in 1975. <BR> <BR>Under Margaret Thatcher we signed the Maastricht Treaty which brought the EU countries closer together still. From memory that was 1986. <BR> <BR>We agreed to the creation of the single currency (now called the Euro)but negotiated an opt out so that we can choose when we join, so long as we have fulfilled the necessary criteria. <BR> <BR>The UK and Sweden are yet to decide whether or not to join. Denmark had a referendum last month and decided not to join. Various countries, including, I think Greece, have yet to fulfill the economic criteria for joining. <BR> <BR>Euros do not exist as currency, so you couldn't take them if you wanted them, and your credit card bill will translate the domestic currency of the country you visit into your domestic currency, so all you will see on your bill will be dollars. No Euros. Even if you visit the Eurozone. <BR> <BR>The impact of Rose's advise is entirely accurate, but the analysis somewhat off beam. Next week we are thinking of taxing your tea.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Sheila

Don't you just hate people who get "advice" and "advise" mixed up? Duh!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Kim

I have been living in Europe for three months for a work assignment. One thing i learned was that, rather than carry cash, it is easier (and you get a better rate) if you simply take out money on your ATM card once you get there. Every time I went to a new country, it was easiest to hit the local ATM first for cash rather than try to exchange at the Thomas Cook's and other exchange spots. The "fee" for changing money is too high at those places. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Rose

Thanks Sheila, for clearing that up. <BR> <BR>My point about Euros showing up on the Visa card it correct however. It's the same as when you purchase anything in a foreign country whereas the Euro/GBP/Peso etc. will be shown as well as the exchange rate, and then the amount owing will be in the domestic currency. S!: Euros exist only on paper. <BR> <BR>That's all I have to say..don't you like my advi(s)e..teehee. Spelling check point is taken.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Patrick

Rose, I just looked at all my Visa and Master Card statements from my entire summer in Europe. There is no mention of Euros anywhere. Purchases are shown in Swiss Francs, French Francs, Pounds Sterling, Italian Lira, etc. and then in US dollars.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Sheila

Nor mine- that takes in Germany, Italy, France and Holland in the Eurozone and Greece outside it. (Actually most of that's my husband's work- don't get carried awy now!)

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Rose

Then all I can say is CNN didn't have the facts straight ofor this story: <BR> <BR>cnn.com/travel/news/9812/30/euro.tourism <BR> <BR>That's were I got the information. If you can't trust CNN...