Notices

Eurorail Selectpass

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Fines

Eurorail Selectpass

http://www.raileurope.com/us/

Has anyone ever used the Selectpass to travel Europe? My fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon and this option sounds very interesting. Any info would be appreciated!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:09 PM
jamie

I am not sure where you are going but I looked into it and its cheaper to buy one way tix to wherever you are going in Italy...there are websites that can help you...unfortunately I am at work and they are on my home computer! do a search in maybe yahoo

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Dutchman

I traveled on a three country selectpass and had a blast. You can look up pass information on raileurope.com and compare passes to point-to-point fares. You might save money buying tickets at the train station, but there's always the hassle waiting in line and trying to talk to somebody who might have pretty rough English.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Rex

I think that Dutchman meant that you can do fare comparisons at www.railsaver.com

Avoiding the purchase of tickets seems to be a silly reason to buy a pass to me.

Would you pay $100 upon entering a restaurant to avoid having to pay for individual items, if most people spend less than $60 for a complete meal?

That's what buying a pass is like, in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:32 PM
David

I've never really had a hassle with buying tickets at a train station. Before I go I write down on a piece of paper where I want to go, the dates and the times. I have the number of tickets, the names of the passengers and which class to travel. It works well even if the person speaks perfect English because it gives them something to reference. I don't have to spell names or answer many questions, if any at all.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Liz

I've traveled with a SelectPass and can recommend it, but I think they're changing it next year. It will be 5 counties instead of 3, and I assume, cost more. Might not be as good of a deal. I also recomment trying your itinerary at railsaver.com.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Gina

We used the Selectpass Saver (two people traveling together) for three countries (France, Italy & Greece) - five days of first-class travel within a two month period. It was definitely the best option for us. If you are traveling to at least three countries and long distances, the pass is worth it. If you're traveling short distances, point-to-point tickets are a better choice.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Carol

Another vote for point to point tickets.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Betsy

We used the Selectpass on the following itinerary. Two people, three adjacent countries, five days of travel within two months. The heads up is that the pass was just barely less than point-to-point tickets for this long itinerary: Paris to Santa Margarita Ligure, Rome to Salerno, Salerno to Venice, Venice to Munich (we paid about $11 for the little part of Austria we traversed), Munich to Paris. Our trip was for five weeks.

The point is that you can cover a LOT of territory with point-to-point tickets and come out ahead, so do the research on www.railsaver.com

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:42 AM

to the top for Fines.

Betsy is so right.