EuroRail advice

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroRail advice

Any advice for EuroRail passes if one wants to visit 4 "non-continguous" countries: Germany, Austria, Czech and Hungary?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:11 AM

First off, these countries are contiguous.

But Eurailpasses do not cover the Czech R. in any case.

You can buy a 3-country selectpass for the other countries, if you like, then purchase point-to-point tickets for travel within the Czech R.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:24 AM

There is a European East pass which includes Czech Republic, Austria, and Hungary which might be another option. Then pay point to point for the German sections. Or also get a German flex pass.

You have a lot of work to do. Have you listed the trips you will want to make and compared costs of point to point with passes.? The passes are great if you are in an area for a while and like to just hop onto a train for near by train trips, but if your travel is many of those, they aren't good buys on a train pass -- point to point will again probably be cheaper than using a day of your pass for those short hauls.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Dream up some possible itineraries. Then visit www.railsaver.com and enter them. The program will help you decide which railpass is right for you, or if a combination of a railpass and point-to-point tickets would be cheaper, or if strictly point-to-point tickets would actually be cheapest.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM
rex

I am a strong advocate for taking a critial look at the "non-bargain" a rail pass can be for most kinds of Europe travel. Just as much for these four countries as any other four.

I personally prefer car travel, though I try to acknowledge the benefits of train travel for many kinds of trips.

If you do plan a train trip in these four counties, there is a little-known pass for the CR which is designed to do one thing, and to do it cheaper than point-to-point tickets: the Prague Excursion Pass - - it gets you INto the CR to visit Prague (and stop along the way, same day, if you wish), AND, then conversely OUT OF the CR from Prague on to any other place the train can take you. No need to come in and go out the same way.

As much as I like cars, if I were traveling "through" the Czech Republic, solo, or with one other person - - and not returning to the counrey where I started (and this can make a lot of sense, coupled with open jaw air travel) - - then this is one "rail pass" which is a hard bargain to beat.

As I see it, Czech Rail is ofering you this discount as an inducement to visit their country. A win-win sitation, if you have already decided you want to go there.

Best wishes,

Rex