Europeans in Cuba?

Jun 21st, 2001, 06:41 AM
Head

Europeans in Cuba?

Any European countries frequent Cuba regularly in August? What's the weather like then?

Jun 21st, 2001, 08:00 AM
Alec

Oh yes! Cuba has become one of the most popular good-value summer destinations for the British during the last few years, and there are a huge number in the resorts, almost all on package tours. There will also be Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians, who come on charter flights. Weather in August will be hot and humid, with a possibility of thunderstorm.

Jun 21st, 2001, 11:13 AM
Head

does Cuba have an active nightlife for locals in the resort area of Varadero where tourists can visit also?

Jun 21st, 2001, 11:42 AM
sharon

Varadero is for tourists - not many locals can afford the night life there. Locals can be found in the cities... having a great time until the wee hours of the morning.

Italians are in Cuba by the thousands.

So are we Americans... although that was not in your question.

Jun 21st, 2001, 12:09 PM
Christina

I have some German friends and recently discussed this as one's sister went there -- in August, I believe, very popular with Germans. You wouldn't think there'd be any Germans left given all the other places German go on vacation (Canary Islands, Greece, Italy, coast of Spain, Tunisia, Florida, etc).

Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:51 AM
kate

Hi Head

I was in Cuba last august, the weather was hot (90s) and humid, but then it is pretty much the same all year. Make sure you get a hotel with air conditioning.

To meet the locals, stay a few nights in Havana. I wouldn't recommend Varadero (it's sort of the Benidorm of Cuba), rather, if you want a beach resort, head to Guardalavaca, which is supposed to be the prettiest. I know that some operators offer a 2 centre holiday combining Havana and a beach resort. You can't go to Cuba and miss Havana.

I stayed in Santa Lucia which as a resort was a bit quiet, but it did have an open air disco mostly attended by locals, with only about 20% tourists. I found most tourists were Italians (predonimantly), then British, Spanish, German, Dutch and Canadians, but this varies according to the resort.

I loved it, have a wonderful time.