European Rail Buff News

Search

European Rail Buff News

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Rail Buff News

European Rail News... for rail buffs; as reported by special correspondent Hope Bonnhoff:
LGV EST UPDATE
France's newest high-speed rail line, the LGV-Est, under construction between Paris and Germany is due to open in 2007 at 350 km/hr running max. Some recent developments:
...The previous provision agreement between the SNCF, Luxembourg Railways, SBB and DB has fallen apart and now only the French SNCF and German DB will operate the new trains, which were previously branded RHEALYS trains. TGV POS train sets will be used on Paris-Frankfurt runs; ICE 3's on Paris-Stuttgart runs. Both cities will be reached in about 4 hours from Paris, down by two hours over now. (www.rhealys.com)
...the SBB will run the Paris-Basel-Zurich trains over the new line under the LYRIA brand name they currently use on Paris-Lausanne-Brig and Paris-Bern-Zurich and Paris-Geneva trains (with TGV POS train sets)
... Paris-Geneva train times will decrease 20 mins in 2007 after the reopening and electricfication of the La Cluse-Bellegarde line in France.
...the SBB has increased its stake in LYRIA train company to 26% from 11%, with the SNCF holding the balance.
------------------------------
I always am eager to here new rail news - please feel free to add in anything. Lots of thanks, Hope B.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

EUROPE'S 4TH LONGEST RAIL TUNNEL
has just been completed - breakthrough but still a few years from being put in service. It burrows under the Guadarrama mountain range on the new high-speed Madrid-Valladolid rail line under construction. 28,377 meters long the project has been called Spain's single largest civil engineering project ever attempted. Next tunnel attention will turn up the line towards Segovia, where twin tunnels 8.5 km long will be bored leading to a new Segovia station, 4.5 km outside of town. the new line will allow AVE type trains of up to 350 km/hr running.
The pain in Spain no longer will still be on the train!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I tend to greet these news releases with mixed emotions. While it is nice to see the speeds increase and times decrease, I'm starting to miss the old days of arriving by train in the middle of a city. More and more these high speed trains have stations and terminals way outside of town. It's nice to get to Segovia a few minutes (or more) earlier, but then one must somehow get the remaining 4 1/2 kms into the town you wanted to visit in the first place, for example. Arriving in the town was always one of the main advantages of trains over planes.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

ditto - i heartily agree. And these high-speed trains all require reservations even if not full - i always go the railpass route and now it's getting to be a hassle to have to reserve all the time, negating one of the benefits - the spontaneous ability to hop any train any time - of a pass. And like Intrepid would lament, the windows don't open and you can't lean out! (Risking you life perhaps but a thrill - getting the smells of the countryside as well.) The new Koln-Frankfurt hi-speed line is lined by windbreaks or in tunnels - you see nothing but it's an hour quicker than the classic line thru the Rhine Gorge. Yes rail travel is losing something whilst gaining speed.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I agree but I will say this, riding from Cologne to the Frankfurt airport last year in only 57 minutes AND watching as we literally whizzed by the traffic on the adjoining highway which was slowed to a creep (and this at 6:30 AM) made not being able to hang out the window a little less disappointing.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Let's see leaning out the window at about 190 mph - makes for a bad hair day i'd think it not a bad head week!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

MERANO-MALLES VENOSTA LINE IN DOLOMITES REOPENS AFTER 14 YEARS
The Merano-Malles Venosta rail line, closed in 1991, has reopened to passenger trains on its 60 km stretch. Once meant to link Merano to Landeck, Austria, the line never reached beyond Malles Venosta. But there is talk of builing a new 17 km line from Malles V to Scuol Tarasp in Switzerland to connect with the Swiss rail network. this is more than a pipe dream and is being seriously considered, dependent on EU funding. As for now buses link Malles Venosta to Landeck and Scuol Tarasp and the reopened line plus bus means that Zurich is just six hours from Merano by this route. (www.ferroviavalvenosta.it) The new rail route provides a novel way of going between Italy and Austria and Switzerland.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:27 AM

These new high speed trains don't have private compartments - with a couple of exceptions. There was something mystical about being in a compartment for nine hours, while riding through glorius scenery, head out the window, bottle of wine and salami sandwich in tow. Now you sit two by two, staring straight ahead, watching who comes and goes through the coach door, which in my opinion too closely identifies it to the airplane experience I am studiously trying to avoid.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Germany To End Station Ticket Discounts
As of next Dec 12 (2005) Germany will stop selling 50% off companion tickets at station ticket windows. The policy has been a success, but apparently too much so as the plan lets the first person pay full fare and accompanying passengers 50% off. It seems an Internet service is matching solo travelers to get the discount - anyway Deutsche Bahn will stop the sales at stations but apparently continue them if ordering online.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

VIENNA DECIDES ON NEW CENTRAL STATION
Vienna is going ahead with plans to built a central station that will replace both the Sudbahnhof and Ostbahnhof, which will be demolished or incorporated into the new station. Called Wien Europea Mitte, opening is set for 2009 and will eventually accommodate most international trains, such as EC trains from Nurnberg and Budapest, which will no longer serve the Westbahnhof. West station is still have local trains however, such as those to Salzburg and Innsbruck. the new station is being built over vast freight train yards and will future an extensive commercial development. S-Bahn and Metro lines will connect the new station with most areas of Vienna.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

FRANCE: FINALLY MUCH NEEDED TIMETABLE CHANGE!
It appears that the SNCF will finally cave in to critics who have long advocated the rail company move to regular timetables throughout its system, not just on a few main TGV and suburban commuter lines radiating out of Paris. Regular interval, like that in UK, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium and Netherlands see at least hourly service on most lines, with the theory that this increases rail patronage. Currently on many lateral lines in France trains run a spotty schedules with often 3-4 hours gaps in service. Now SNCF plans regular intervals for the whole of France sometime in 2008. Regular intervals means passengers really don't need to know exact schedules, because there will be a train within an hour after the show up at the station - mainlines in places like UK, Germany, Swiss, Benelux often run twice hourly or more.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

MADRID-LLEIDA HIGH SPEED UPDATE
The much plagued new high-speed Spanish line between Mardird and Lleida, though the track work was finished a few years ago is still plagued by not only unexpected soil erosion but a messed up signalling system - that has never been activated. Now it's decided to revert to the old signalling system used on AVE Madrid-Seville line - postponing 300 km/hr speeds until late 2005 at the earliest.
TORINO-NOVARA HI-SPEED LINE
In conjunction with the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turino, Italy a new high-speed rail line Torino-Novara is slated to open by Feb 2006; the Novara-Milano section will open in 2009.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

NEW STATION AT VISP
Due to the construction of the Lotschberg route tunnel from Fruitingen all the way to the Rhone Valley, emerging at Visp, Visp will replace Brig as the major transit station for those going onto Italy and will serve as the intersection of the Rhone Valley line from Montreux, the Lotschberg route from Germany and Bern and the narrow-gauge mountain railway to Zermatt. Thus a major new station will be built here to accommodate the crowds. Brig promises to become a backwater.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

CAEN-TOURS TRAINS THREATENED
The SNCF would like to axe direct trains between Tours and Caen, though some limited service may remain on the line but without thru trains. I took this train last year and, quite unlike the TGVs i savored the small regional farming towns it stopped at - and i could lean out the windows! so far Tours-Caen service has been retained for at least the near future.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

RHATISCHE BAHN UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE?
Cantonal officials from the region two sections of Switzerland's Rhatische Bahn runs thru have applied to UNESCO to make the two lines a World Heritage Site. The sections are Thusis-St Moritz ("Albula Line&quot and St. Moritz-Campocolgna (Bernina Line), on the Italian border. (Personally the Bernina Pass line is Europe's most scenic line -awesomely scenic!) Only two rail lines currently have been annointed by UNESCO as Heritage Sites: Austria's Semmering line and India's quaint Darjeeling line.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:08 PM

I won't be sorry to see the Sudbahnhof go...it is kind of dumpy. I do like some of the spots around the Westbahnhof, esp. the West End Cafe. I assume the new station will also handle the ICE trains that come in from Germany as well as the regular EC trains.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:05 AM

More updates- The highspeed upgrade on the Berlin to Hamburg line opened recently. Travel time has been reduced by 30 minutes and is now just 90 minutes. Along with higher speeds is higher prices. The high speed upgrade between Berlin and Leipzig is expected to be completed by the World Cup in 2006. Also DB announced that the new main station in Berlin will be opened in May and that international trains will no longer stop at the Zoo Station.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:16 AM

When Visp becomes the "new Brig" does this also mean we no longer get to descend along those wonderful palisades of the Rhone with the fabulous views?

If so, too, too sad.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes and if Swiss plans for their Alps Transit 2000 or whatever monniker they put on are realized travelers from Germany to Italy will see mainly tunnels, really mainly in tunnels even in flatter areas. Partly aimed at taking lorries off the roads. You will emerge briefly at Visp and back in tunnel to Italy! But the classic lines no doubt will still be there so we can experience what i also consider one of Europe's most thrilling mainline rides, the descent along a ledge to Brig hundreds of feet over the Rhone Valley below. so i guess it will be our choice to go for speed or scenes.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks Charlie B - didn't have that info on Hamburg-Berlin. I visited the new Berlin main station being built north of the Reichstag on the site of the old Lehter Bahnhof last September - S-Bahn trains are actually using it now and it seemed nearly ready for long-distance trains. a fine fine station architecturally, nearly all glass. Kitty-corner from it is Berlin's oldest train station, the Hamburger Bahnhof, no longer used but to a rail buff interesting to look at this old train shed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -