European flu epidemic advice please

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:14 AM
Brad

European flu epidemic advice please

How bad is this? I will be coming over to europe on holiday for the first time soon but am seriously thinking of cancelling my trip in view of this.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:20 AM
s.fowler

It's pretty bad in Norway the UK and France, although less so there because a higher percentage of older people have had flu shots.
If you have had a flu shot or have the time to get one at least 2 weeks before you go I wouldn't worry. I'd just use lots of handiwipes and as your mother probably told you keep your hands away from your face until you've washed them

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Helena

It's pretty bad here in the Czech Republic, officially an "epidemic," but you don't need to cancel you trip because of it. Get a flu shot if you have enough time! I second the notion of washing your hands. Avoid touching railings (wash hands often after doing so), stay out of crowded trams, and bundle up.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Brad

I have not had jabs. Why is there this flu epidemic in the first place? Was it to do wioth hygene standards?
As I will be using the transport system and visiting museums etc I will be at high risk. Would you also know how much of Europe was badly damaged by the hurricans I heard about?

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Pam

I own a health food store, and as I always recommend to my customers - the best way to avoid the flu is to keep your immune system in top form. Start taking Vitamin C daily and Olive Leaf extract (naturee's antibiotic) as an extra measure, make sure you get plenty of rest, and wash your hands frequently. Both should be available at your local health food store. Good luck

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 03:03 PM
elvira

Unless you're a hermit in a cave, you're just as likely to catch the flu in the U.S or Canada as you are in Europe.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 07:08 AM
Nigel Doran

The official figures in the U K point to the fact that it is not an epidemic, but others say that because the figures are compiled from patients visiting their doctors, it could be that the figures are 'too low' ie. many people are simply staying at home and not seeing their G P.
If you are immuno-suppressed or have bronchial problems etc., then I might think twice, but otherwise I would not deter a trip. I believe lots of germs are passed on from touching objects (like hand-rails or the hanging straps on metro trains) and then touching your eyes or mouth, so attention to hygiene would help.
F Y I, I have had the flu jab and have not suffered so much as a sneeze.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:58 AM
elvira

Flu virii are airborne, and they are speedy little devils. If someone sneezes, another person 50 feet away can catch the virii. The more people per square feet, the more likely someone will catch it. Sooooo, if you work in an office building or shop in a grocery store or go to church....you're just as likely to catch the flu (if the virus is in your area) at home as riding the London Underground or climbing the Eiffel Tower.