Notices

European Data plan for iPad

Old Aug 25th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
European Data plan for iPad

Were heading to France in late September and Im interested in getting a SIM card plan for my iPad. Well be traveling around Spain, Portugal, Germany, and the UK. (iPad used primarily for gps.)
In the past Ive purchased a SIM card at the SNF store in France. Is it true my prayers were answered and the card will work in those countries? Is one brand better than another? (I.e. SNF vs Orange)
Thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 02:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I trust you mean SFR. SNF is a global polyacrylamide producer, not a phone service provider.

Orange provides the best coverage in France, though SFR isn't bad There are no roaming charges in the EU any longer, so yes, any SIM you buy in France should work.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops. Yes, I did mean SFR.
Thanks !
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just be sure that you can load more data if you need it whilst not in France, and using a foreign card. Not all providers allow it.
There is also a fair use policy which means they can limit your data usage if they think you are using roaming too much.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 03:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it pays to check the data roaming options for various plans. Basically the amount of data you can use in free roaming depends on the data plan that would apply in France, where you bought the card. Most providers throttle your data if you're using it more outside the country where you bought the SIM card than in the "home" country . There is usually a grace period before they begin to limit you, which should cover a normal vacation. For example, if someone buys a cheap data plan in France, uses it for two weeks, and then uses it for three months in Germany, they essentially say that you're not roaming, you've relocated. Then they cancel the cheap data plan and make you pay their regular pay-as-you-go price, whicg is usually much higher.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 03:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Data Plans

If you where from the States, then I'd recommend using T-Mobile, and not have to worry.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 03:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-mobile used overseas will usually give you a connection sufficient for reading email, as long as it has no attachments or embedded photos .You can't count on it for anything else, even though at some times and in some places, you'll get an excellent connection. My daughter used T-mobile in Europe for a while. She had a so-so experience, and then on one trip to England she couldn't get a data connection at all. But what made her drop it was the terrible coverage at home, in Indiana .