Reload this Page >

EUROPEAN CAR IDENTIFICATION PLATES

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Jo

Can anyone please tell me which country (I think European) has the car id plates HKJ? (as in the UK having GB above the number plate, etc.)

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:44 PM
x

<BR>HKJ = Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:50 AM
curious

OK. Another question: Is it pompous to leave those ID plates on the car (or to place them on a car) that is on another continent? I see cars in the US with foreign plates. What's up with that?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Uncle Sam

Why would it be pompous if you leave them on in the US and you're from a European country? It's against the law, however, if you now reside here but...<BR><BR>Remember they are now in the land of the free and the home of the brave...why does it matter where you're from and a European plate certainly wouldn't impress many Americans!<BR><BR>I'm really concerned however when I see diplomatic plates anywhere in the US. The fools driving those cars have no responsibilities and when they are from some of the two bit countries around the world they do not even face justice at home!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:57 AM
???

I have always thought that a car has registration plates of the country it is registered in. When I take my car with me on a holiday, it is still registered in the country where I live in.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Dragan

To "???",<BR><BR>What is being referred to here is ID stickers rather than registration plates. E.g. when an American takes their car overseas they should have a sticker on the back of their car with the letters USA on it. This is in addition to the registration plate, which doesn't change.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Byggdare Bob

Why does the UK have "GB" as its ID? Shouldn't it be "UK"??<BR><BR>-BB

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Fiona

UK plates use GB for Great Britain.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:27 AM
EP

I don´t see why it would be pompous... I live in Finland and I often see cars with Finnish plates, and then the sticker says that the car is for example French or Swedish. I have never thought about the whole thing.<BR><BR>My neighbour has a German sticker. He bought the car from Germany when he was living there, and never just bothered to take the sticker off.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Ann

Yes, it is pompous, although I don't understand why anyone would think that someone would be impressed by this. But I guess that's what makes the pompous pompous.<BR><BR>These are the same people who leave old baggage tags on their luggage. Of course, they also always lost their luggage, so I could always have a good laugh at that.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:03 PM
curious

I must apologize for hijacking Jo's post. Sorry! But what I was refering to was where someone, for example in the States, leaves foreign license plates (typically wider and shorter than US plates) on their cars. I don't know if that means they lived in Europe and had the car shipped. Most likely, it means they bought the car in Europe on one of those purchase car/vacation deals.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Jo

Thanks for the feedback!<BR>In Australia, we have little sayings about our states, ie for New South Wales we have "NSW The Premier State", "Victoria The Garden State", etc.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:01 PM
driver

Of course you can pull-up and look at license plates from around the world at<BR>http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Gitta

I don´t get is pompous idea either. I mean, if a person from some European country is for example working in US and in his homesickness sticks a sticker of his home country to the back of the car – and Ann says he is pompous???<BR><BR>I see every day a car with a sticker F and even a tricolor in the back window, but I have never thought that he is pompous. I have just thought that he is French.