Reload this Page >

Europe Should I go?

Search

Europe Should I go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Brad

Europe Should I go?

My wife and I (very active senior citizens)are considering a 15 days vacation with SmarTours to the Great Cities of Eastern Europe. We have never traveled with this agency before and have not visited the cities of Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Warsaw or Helsinki. Consequently, any information about this agency and their past performances would be most helpful. Also we have done some research on the cities mentioned above, but if anyone has any special recommendations please include them in your reply. Fodors is GREAT and of course I thank You in advance for your replys. Brad

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 09:56 AM
s.fowler

That's a nice group of cities to visit. I have visted Budapest, Prague and Helsinki, but I hear Krakow is lovely. I don't know that tour company so will leave that to others. You said "senior citizens" - forgive me if I tread on toes... if [and only if] you have special needs re: walking, stairs, food, medical etc... be sure this is a tour that can accomodate them. If that isn't an issue then the quality of the company is the only question. The itinerary sounds delightful

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 09:58 AM
s.fowler

My apologies. I missed the ACTIVE in your post. My excuse is it's Friday! <BR> <BR>Here is their website: http://www.smartours.net/

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Brad

No apology necessary. We THANK YOU for taking the time to respond to our inquiry. However, you did pose some very important questions. We do not require any special needs on our tours. In fact we are very fond of walking and try to use public transportation whenever possible. Thanks Again.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 09:39 PM
Linda

In Prague be sure to see the Charles Bridge at night--very beautiful as the huge statues (which are every 50 feet or so on both sides) are lit up. The half-day tour will help get you acclimated. Great & inexpensive food, crystal, garnets, etc. <BR>In Budapest see the castle area and the Parliament Building. Everything there is even less expensive than Prague. The symphony is nice in both cities. <BR>I have not been to Krakow or Warsaw but from what I have heard and read, if you have to pick one take Krakow. <BR>Have fun!!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 04:44 PM
Marta Speer

I have travelled with my senior parents (both age 76 with minimal health issues, but do need to walk at slow-moderate pace), and the only place we had a problem was in Spain when we joined large (over 25 people) tour groups; there we were also targeted by thieves (who made off with some bags) and street people. The police suspected it was because of my parents' age. We've also been to China, Japan, Germany, Italy, Austria, Mexico and Canada and have not had any problems whatsoever in any of those countries.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 09:23 AM
Jeannette & Brad

We THANK ALL OF YOU for your response to our inquiry about both SmarTours and their Cities of Eastern Europe tours. Based on your comments and recommendations we just booked their 13 August to 27 August tour (15 Days) for the unheard of price of $1799.00 per person including RT airfare from JFK. SmarTours agent informed us that their trips are filling up very fast so if anyone is interested they should book now. Their phone number is: 1-800-337-7773 (Monday thru Friday 8AM-5PM). This is our first trip with them, but have traveled extensively with other tour agencies. Happy traveling to all and Thanks again for your comments. J & B

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 11:06 AM
kim

I know it is a long time from now, but be sure give us a trip report when you get back! <BR> <BR>Have a safe trip!

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 11:52 AM
questioning

I gotta say, Brad and Jeannette, that you guys might have a career writing ad copy. That last posting sounds like SmarTours ad agency coulda written it. "at the unheard of price"? Yikes!