Europe Itinerary Feasible?

Feb 7th, 2017, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Europe Itinerary Feasible?

Hi There!

I need some help with planning an itinerary to Europe. This will be our (husband and I) first time travelling to Europe and we are super excited. Travelling period is in June and July. Based on what I have planned we have around 24 days in total.

DAY 1 London (Half day)
DAY 2 London (Full day)
DAY 3 London (Full day)
DAY 4 London (Full day) (Day trip to Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath)
DAY 5 London (Full day)
DAY 6 London to Amsterdam (Leave in the morning and arrive in Amsterdam in the afternoon)

DAY 6 Amsterdam (Half day)
DAY 7 Amsterdam (Full day)
DAY 8 Amsterdam (Full day)
DAY 9 Amsterdam (Leave in the morning and arrive in Brussles in the afternoon)

DAY 9 Brussles (Half day)
DAY 10 Brussles
DAY 11 Brussles (Leave in the morning and arrive in Paris in the afternoon)

DAY 11 Paris (Half day)
DAY 12 Paris (Full day)
DAY 13 Paris (Full day)
DAY 14 Paris (Full day)
DAY 15 Paris (3/4th day) (Leave Paris at night to Venice and arrive in Venice the next day)

DAY 16 Venice (Half day)
DAY 17 Venice (Full day)
DAY 18 Venice (Leave in the morning and arrive in Florence in the afternoon)
DAY 18 Florence (Half day)
DAY 19 Florence Full day (Day trip to PISA)
DAY 20 Florence (Leave Florence in the afternoon and arrive in Rome in the evening)
DAY 20 Rome (Less than half a day)
DAY 21 Rome (Full day)
DAY 22 Rome (Full day)
DAY 23 Rome (Full day) (Day trip to Naples and Pompeii)
DAY 24 Rome (Full day)
DAY 25 Rome (Fly back home)

Should I cut any days or increase them? I would like to cut one day in London, what do you guys think?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Feb 7th, 2017, 03:38 AM

I find that ok. London deserves that amount of time imo.
Or if you think you are done with it do another day trip to Hampton court for example.
One day trip for both Pompeii and Naples looks over optimistic.
Feb 7th, 2017, 03:41 AM

I think that looks great. I wouldn't cut a day from London; it's a very large city. And you have a daytrip planned there already. Nice itinerary!
Feb 7th, 2017, 03:56 AM

Given how much there is to do in Florence and that you are spending so much time in Pisa (goodness knows why) I'd replan. I suggest get to Florence, dump the bags in the hotel and then go onto Pisa, even eating there that night, the last climb of the tower is pretty late (check the website).
Feb 7th, 2017, 04:11 AM

Overall looks good. Do not drop a day from London. There are so many day trip options that you can take once you get there if you decide to do so - Oxford, Cambridge, Hampton Court, Warwick Castle, etc. Lots to choose from. And if you find London is keeping you interested you don't have to take any day trips.

The main thing I would change is your Belgium time. The three other cities: Antwerpt, Ghent, Brugge - are all more interesting than Brussels. Everything in Belgium is less than an hour apart, and they have a great train system, so I would pick one of the other towns to base in and do day trips to the others, including Brussels if you want to see it.

Your Italy time is a bit tight. You could reconsider not taking one or both the day trips (Pisa and Pompei/Naples). One and a half days in Venice is very little - but then in July it is pretty crowded and at least you'll get to "see" (just barely) it. Same for Florence. But if you do decide to go to Pisa you can easily include Lucca on the same day trip and that will let you see a somewhat less touristy Italian town.

But overall, sounds like a great trip.
Feb 7th, 2017, 04:54 AM

Sounds good, but as mentioned above, your Italy time is a bit tight. You don't even have a full day in Florence. You have only 1 full day in Venice. But if you want to keep all those destinations, it's doable.

>>DAY 15 Paris (3/4th day) (Leave Paris at night to Venice and arrive in Venice the next day)
You plan to do night train Paris-Venice? I would recommend against it, unless you don't have any other choice. Night trains are going out of fashion in Europe. It's very inconvenient, or if you buy convenient seat then it's expensive and you'd better fly. My friends took that night train once, from Paris to Venice, and were stolen everything while they were sleeping on the train. My brother took the night train Paris-Venice too, and was stolen too. Not that they brought much cash with them. Their clothes, bags, luggage,... were all stolen.
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:15 AM

Night train Thello Paris - Venice: lock your 2 berth compartment and you will be fine!
Or sleep at Turin: Paris dp 14.41 - Turin PS ar 20.18; Turin PS dp 8.15 - Venice ar 11.40 (both direct trains).

Everything in your plan is OK except Naples - Pompei in 1 day only. Spend 1 night at Naples (or may be Sorrento) or forget it!
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:16 AM

If you buy a sleeper or couchette on the night train you do not have to worry about theft. I'm not at all sure you can buy just a seat on a night train these days.

See: http://seat61.com/international-trai...tm#Paris-Italy - option 3 is the night train.

Definitely do not drop a day from London, there is loads to do and plenty of day trips.

I was going to suggest adding a day to Venice (maybe skipping the tiring day trip from Rome), until I realized you will be there in July. Good luck! And get off the main drag.
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much guys! Didn't expect such a quick response!

I will keep London as 6 days and 5 nights.
Question: I read about Dutch Ferry that goes from London to Amsterdam. Should I take it instead of the train? Cost of the ferry is roughly 168£ for two people, includes a small room with attacked toilet! I realized that train costs could be higher or nearly the same. So I was thinking of taking the ferry instead. Your thoughts please?

I have read in multiple pages that there isn't much going on in Brussels. I shall go with Ghent then.

As for the Italy part, I thought PISA will take a day. If I can get back early from PISA or spend an afternoon I will take it and spend more time in Florence.

As for day trip to Naples and Pompeii, I saw few tour companies offering one day tour to these two places. I have yet to look at it in detail.
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I see night train could be a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion of buying a sleeper/couchette. Wouldn't be nice if we lost any of our luggages even if it just has clothes. :/

What about day trains? I believe theft will again be a problem. But are the views worth it?
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:28 AM

I highly recommend the overnight ferry from London to Amsterdam. We do it all the time and it is really easy and quite fun. The ferry is huge comfortable. I wrote a report about it...give me a minute and I will add the link.
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Here you go:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment

The original post is from 2010 but we did it last summer and we are doing it again in August.

Make sure you buy Rail and Sail tickets that include your rail tickets.

More info here:
http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm#London ► Amsterdam
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:39 AM

"What about day trains? I believe theft will again be a problem. But are the views worth it?"

NO!
The high speed line between Paris and Lyon is rather boring. So is the Padan Plain between Turin and Venice. There are some nice areas/views around Chambéry, Lake Garda and Venice, but that's it!
Feb 7th, 2017, 05:45 AM

Naples - Pompei: you can do it in 1 day (and as high speed trains are much faster than buses, a individual trip might be even better).
But a somewhat decent visit of Naples (without Pompei, Ercolano, Pozzuoli, Caserta castle, Capri, etc.) needs almost a full day. The masterpieces of Pompei cannot be seen there, but in a museum of Naples, for example.
Feb 7th, 2017, 06:33 AM

I would suggest you fly Paris to Venice. Try easyjet.com In July they have flights from Paris CDG to Venice marco polo (those are the 'main airports, some low cost carriers fly from out of the way airports that add time/money to get to) for under 50€ (if you book well in advance). They have one from 9-10:40 meaning you could actually be in Venice (having dropped your bags at the hotel) and out sightseeing by early afternoon.

You could do Pompeii/Naples on an organized tour - that would give you a few hours in each and would be doable in a day. You can do it independently for less money with more flexibility and time - and you could do it in a (long) day as long as you realize you won't have time to see everything. But you wouldn't on a tour either. If it's something you really want to see it's doable, but if you are just doing it because some one said you should, or some guidebook suggests it, then with your limited time I'd stick to Rome. Or do a day trip to Orvieto which is very easy by train and it's a nice Umbrian hilltown and somewhat different from the other things you are seeing - which are all the 'biggies'.

I though Pisa was (the tower, duomo, etc. was very pretty, and kind of cool to see the leaning tower that you've probably seen photos of your whole life. But I didn't climb it and personally wouldn't bother waiting in line, paying, etc just to climb up it. I spent less than half a day and that included walking from the train station and back to see a little of the city. Still had plenty of time for Lucca, or with such limited time in Florence maybe make it just a half day trip and spend the rest of the time in Florence. Or - if you really want to see something else, a day trip from Florence to Siena (by bus) is nice. Siena is a beautiful hilltown (larger than most, but still a hill town). You obviously don't have time for both day trips.

I have photos of all the places you are considering going, might give you some help deciding which places you'd rather go. I know it's hard to limit yourself, they are all great, but don't try to cram too much in.

http://www.pbase.com/annforcier
Feb 7th, 2017, 07:00 AM

If you are arriving in London after a long, overnight flight, you'll probably be jetlagged and sleepy for a day or two. So keep the extra day in London. Look up London Walks (walks.com). Lots of options there, no need to reserve, just show up at the meeting place.

And I agree, fly from Paris to Venice Marco Polo, but fly from Orly airport instead of CDG. Orly is smaller and closer to Paris than CDG and not so crowded. Easyjet has cheap flights Orly to Venice also.

You have a well-planned itinerary. However, if it was me, I'd skip Belgium and add the time to Italy. You really are skimping there.
Feb 7th, 2017, 07:10 AM

You don't indicate what days of the week you'll be in Florence... FYI, not all of the main sights are open every Sunday and Monday. Depending on what days you're there and what you want to see/do, you may find those multiple partial days don't work very well.
Feb 7th, 2017, 07:12 AM

Theft on trains in the daytime is only a minor issue.
Feb 7th, 2017, 11:29 AM

If you're not interested in Renaissance art, one day in Florence (or two half days) is plenty. I also think that one full day in Venice is enough, especially in the summer, when it's hot and crowded, if you won't be visiting museums. Rome needs a lot of time, and in the summer, I wouldn't even consider going to the Vatican Museums unless you can visit on a Friday evening or so one of the very early morning visits. The Colosseum is nearly as bad. For both these places, you should definitely buy tickets online in advance. There are many wonderful uncrowded museums and archaeological sites that you could visit instead.

I was in Pompeii last September, and it was unbelievably crowded, and rather hot as well. You might want to consider visiting Ostia Antica instead, which is the ancient Roman port city, actually in Rome, and just about half an hour from the center of the city.

http://ostia-antica.org/
Feb 7th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Very very well thought out - I would not change a thing- Day 6 you could take a night ferry England to Netherlands - with trains to and from London and Amsterdam from the ports- put something different in- some folks just sleep in the disco or pub!

Trains are great - itinerary not conducive to any railpass but book discounted tickets far in advance to nab discounts from national rail web sites. For schedules check www.bahn.de/en - schedules for all European trains. For general info check www.seat61.com -great insights on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

For night train Paris to Venice check www.thello.com - book a compartment for 2 -bring any food and drink you want on board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO