Reload this Page >

Europe in winter

Search

Europe in winter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 12:03 PM
james

Europe in winter

I'm planning a 3-4 week solo trip to Europe this winter. I'm thinking of hitting Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Prague and Budapest. What's the traveler atmosphere like in January? I'll be staying in hostels and whatever inexpensive accommodations I can find. I'm definitely into meeting locals and other travelers. Off the beaten path would be nice too. I'm into the sights, but more into the people and cultures that surround them. Any advice? Thanks!

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 01:47 PM
s.fowler

First it's COLD. And it's still wonderful You need to check carefully. A lot of hostels are summer only. And watch out for the "strike season". Winter is the time various transportation and museum folk pick for "work actions." <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 01:49 PM
s.fowler

First it's COLD. And it's still wonderful You need to check carefully. A lot of hostels are summer only. And watch out for the "strike season". Winter is the time various transportation and museum folk pick for "work actions." <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 04:40 PM
Bob

Secondly: It's COLD! But fun. My wife and I have done 6 Thanksgivings in Europe. The tourists are mostly gone and you have the place to yourself and the locals. The time between our Thanksgiving and Christmas is probably better than January as all the towns are decorated for the holidays and you have a festive air in Europe. There are many small festivals going on all over. When we lived there and traveled in January, it was fun, but sorta dreary. I recommend doing the Nov/Dec period if possible. Did I mention that it was COLD! One trip my video camera froze up and I still remember trying to get across the bridge in Salzburg in a cold wind....WOW! And then there was sliding down the hill in Germany last year....And that was in November. Dress warm and have a great time.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:46 PM
Lynn

Need I reiterate that it's COLD!? <BR>We went in Feb.- nearly froze to death in Vienna, but encountered sunny 50 degree weather in Budapest (go figure!). The cold is no real impediment to touring, just take warm clothes, boots that can withstand snow and an umbrella;and plan on frequent visits to cafes for some hot beverages. You'll be sure to meet people there!