Europe Help where to go???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I are looking to travel in May 2008 for 2 weeks to 'somewhere' in Europe. Neither of us have visited, so we are at a loss. We both LOVE beachs (the sandy kind) and privacy. Here's the problem: We both love to walk to the beach, but I am more comfortable in an apartment with all the ammenities, and he is scared that those are traps for pickpockets (he watches too many travel shows). We have looked at Barcelonia and Sardinia hotels, but we can't make a decision. Does anyone have recommendations about places to stay (hotel vs. apartment and risks/opportunities?) Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Carol Ann
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't help much since I don't tend to do beach vacations in Europe. But I am curious -- worried about pickpockets in an apartment??
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM

You may get burglurized in an apartment, but pickpocketed, I think not. Have you considered Greece?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:50 AM

In Europe there are a lot of places with nice sandy beaches, you can try Croatia, some parts of Sicily (like La Plaja in Catania), Sardinia (very beautiful), Tuscany, Greece. Near Barcelona there are nice beaches, but Barcelona beach itself is not the best, but it is very lively. As for accommodation, I have always traveled a lot in Europe and stayed in apartments, hotels, hostels and never had any problems.
For accommodation in Europe you can check http://www.holiday-velvet.com/
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:12 AM

La Concha beach in San Sebastian is one of the best city beaches in Europa.
http://www.ruraliberica.com/archivo/...0concha(1).jpg
http://maribelsguides.com/mg_sansebastian.pdf
http://www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:19 AM

<he is scared that those are traps for pickpockets (he watches too many travel shows). We have looked at Barcelona>

well Barcelona, along with Madrid is not only pickpocket capital of Europe but also mugging capital it seems as well so your hubby may be right. A recent thread "Mugged in Barcelona" relays dozens of stories of folks being mugged or victimized in these two cities. Elsewhere there are rarely problems with muggings - pickpockets in lots of big cities but muggings seem the realm of Madrid and Barcelona.

My sister-in-law was violently mugged in Madrid.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Give a thought to the south of France. Tahiti Beach, Pamplonna Beach outside of St. Tropez? I'd go there in May.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I m not sure what your budget is but - over 35 years since the age of 6 months I have been to most of the beach resorts in Med. The best by far are in Sardinia. I am confused by Barcelona v Sardinia. They are worlds apart.

I have seen a lot and am always cynical of reputations. I have just come back from Victoria BC and the locals were scared of crime!!! I think this was because someone ran a red light last April.!

Barcelona is the one place for me that did match its murky aura. It is a architecturally beautiful but its drugs/crime etc is very tangible. We saw teengers shooting up in Starbucks (not the toilets).

The best beaches on Sardinia are in two areas - Costa Smerelda (VVV expensive) or in the South West in the are around Chia. A stay in Santa Theresa should be reasonable - try Inmobilsarda for apartments. We stayed Residence Cappricicola on Cala Di Volpe last September. The apartments are basic but with good facilities but you have a 2 minute walk to what I think is the best beach in Europe. You will pay around 600 euros a week. All the surrounding accommodation is VERY expensive - the next hotel is Cala Di Volpe (regarded at top 10 in Europe) and can be 5000 euros a night. All the surrounding villas are private and come in at around E5,000,000 to buy. Basically, the Residence gives you "A" list access without the cost.

Alternatively try Mallorca it has endless beaches and apartments of every level.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM

You might want to consider the Canary Islands.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM
dgg

Just a few thoughts...I'm assuming you're American. Like one of the other posters mentioned, we don't go to Europe for the beaches either. They tend to be crowded in high season and in May, you will be testing your luck for beach weather, even in Barcelona. I have never been to Sardinia, but it according to some other posters, that may be your best bet. Personally I like Greece for the combination of beaches, local culture and sights. It will be the very beginning of "the season" in Greece, but the islands should be up and running. Two weeks will give you enough time to explore several islands in Greece.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM

I am a European and the consensus here, (pickpockets aside), is right. Our beaches will start to fill up from May until September.

Barcelona will still be prone to some rain in May.

Greece is good as are the Canary Islands. However, if you were to get bored, then the islands are a 4 hour flight from mainland Europe.

You might want to try Cyprus! Their saeson starts deceptively early.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM

I agree - if you are looking for peaceful beaches in the Med in August you would have to go to them between 2am and 6am each day. Even at that time Ibiza would be busy!!

May should be fine as long as you avoid the very busy centres. One area that has supurb beaches, gret culture and is relatively undiscovered is the Costa De La Luz in Spain. It is between Gibralter and Portugal. Day trips to Seville, Jerez and Portugal are very possible. Seville has to be one of the few cities in Europe that has experienced tourism but has mnged to retain its own style and shun world culture.

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:34 AM

A sub-question here: aren't there some interesting spots on the Northern coast of Spain (Bay of Biscay) ?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Portugal - the Algarve coast.
Also a popular tourist destination, but when you rent a car, you can also find beaches that are not really crowded. The western section is usually less crowded - and more scenic.
If the language barrier is somewhat of an issue: English is quite well known due to many visitors from the UK - but in the hinterland you may need a phrase book.
But I do not quite get the reason why apartments should be more "dangerous" than hotel rooms. A hotel floor can be deserted, so lots of time to pick the door (as if burglars needed lots of time), and later get lost in the hotel crowds. As apartments are often a less costly way to spend 2 weeks on the beach than a 4-star hotel, where would you assume more interesting stuff to take - if you were a burglar? ;-)
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Is there anything else that interests you besides the beach and privacy? Such as historical sights, art, museums, quaint villages, etc? This may help us give you better suggestions.

The beaches in Europe are nice but to be honest if all you want is a beach and some privacy you may be better off on one of the more remote islands in the Caribbean. But if you are looking for some culture, art, history, etc than Europe is a great choice.

Tracy
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Also forgot to mention that we have stayed in many apartments in Europe and have never had a problem. We prefer them for their hominess and the feeling that we can live like a local, even if only for a few days!

Tracy
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Portugal or maybe Maderia. If you choose Maderia I would spend the first part on the main Island of Maderia it does not have sandy beaches and then the second half on The island of Porto Santo it is one of the Madeira islands. Known as the Gloden Island.Porto Santo boasts long beaches of fine yellow sand known for therapeutic properties, and its calm blue sea warm temperatures of between 18º C and 22º C. The local climate is stable and dry, temperatures not varying much between the seasons, which makes this a very pleasant place to go to the beach all year round.
Or maybe skip the main land and spend 2 weeks lying on a golden beach.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For great beaches I go to Mexico or Hawaii. I go to Europe for other things.