Reload this Page >

Europe from above--best views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 06:06 AM
Caryn

While answering a post about Brugge and telling the person to be sure to go to the top of the Belfry, I got an idea! <BR> <BR>What are the best views from above in Europe? <BR> <BR>Here's my list: <BR> <BR>1) From the top of the Belfy in Brugge. <BR>2) From the top of the dome at St. Peter's Cathedral looking down at the baroque columns: the arms of the mother church embracing the people. <BR>3) From the top of the Jungfrau. <BR>4) From the top of the belltower at San Girgio Maggiore (sp?)

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 09:09 AM
anne

A few favorites that come to mind: <BR>The green countryside, with the river lazily winding through, from the ramparts of the fortified town of Domme, in the Dordogne...searching for all the chateaus in view, <BR>The brilliant blue Mediterranean, with rugged mountains creeping to the shore, and the islands of St. Jean de Cap Ferrat and the Cap below from the perched medieval villege of Eze on the French Riviera, <BR>The magnificent snowcapped Austrian alps, with verdant green fields and picturesque chalets below, from the Planai ski lift above the tiny town of Schladming <BR>Wonderful memories! <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 05:18 PM
KRISTA

My favorite views are: <BR> <BR>From the cliff of Ravello on the Amalfi coast. The view of gardens and the Mediterranean is terrific. <BR> <BR>From the top of Blarney Castle in Ireland. All you see is beautiful, green grass for miles and miles. And it's so peaceful. <BR> <BR>And of course, the Eiffel Tower. I'll never forget my first time at the very top. I couldn't believe I was really there, finally! Looking out over all of Paris just took by breath away.

Old Feb 1st, 1999, 07:12 AM
Lee

Caryn: Good one! I have a few favorites myself: <BR> <BR>The view of Frankfurt, the Romer and the contrasting modern skyline with the river Main just below from St. Bartholomew's cathedral in the riverside steeple. <BR> <BR>The view of the lakes and of Hohenschwangau from the windows of Neuschwanstein Castle, Schwangau, Bavaria. <BR> <BR>The view at Linderhof Castle, with the fountains on, from the Gazebo above the gardens and palace, near Oberammergau, Bavaria. <BR> <BR>The view of Trocodero with the fountains on, from the top of the Eiffel Tower, Paris. <BR> <BR>The view of the city of Salzburg and the town square from the fortress above town. <BR> <BR>Garmisch-Partenkirchen from one of the many cable cars that run on the various mountains surrounding the town(s). <BR> <BR>The view of Paris on a (somewhat) clear day from the Sacred Heart church. You get an idea just how big the city is. <BR> <BR>What great memories! <BR>

Old Feb 1st, 1999, 07:17 AM
elvira

What memories! The view from the monastery at Monserrat, looking across Catalonia; view from St-Paul-de-Vence, across the mountains down to the sea (like Eze, I would imagine); looking down into the boiling sea from the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge; and the view of Paris from the plaza in front of Sacre Coeur. (thanks for all of your memories; now I have ANOTHER to-do list!)