EUROPE ELECTRICITY QUESTION

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 02:38 PM
Maribeth

EUROPE ELECTRICITY QUESTION

I have a 50 watt converter to take on a Paris trip. But this doesn't seem like all I need for curling iron and some travelling hot rollers, or a travel iron. Do I need an OVER 50 WATT converter for these items. Also, do I NEED TO BUY an ADAPTOR, too? This is a bit confusing to me!

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 04:12 PM
Kristin

I fooled around with converters and adaptors the first time I went to Europe. Once I forgot to use part of it (can't remember which) on my curling iron and found the plastic tip melting off. After that I got a wash-and-wear hairstyle for the next trip and I will never go back to carrying around all that stuff. If at all possible, try to find a way to do your hair without electricity!

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 04:54 PM
Phyllis

Play it safe and take an adaptor and a dual convertor. I have one that has a switch for low wattage(shavers,water pik)and high wattage (dryers,irons,steam wands).You can find these at a store like Bentley's and Sears used to carry them.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 07:17 PM
Maribeth

Thanks for your reply. I'll try Sears tomorrow--hopefully they will have them!

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 07:21 PM
Maribeth

Probably a good idea to go without the hair junk, but there's no way I could go "a la natural." I wish!!!

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 04:37 AM
elaine

Many travel appliances have dual voltage options, in which case you do not need a voltage converter
but will only need the proper plug adapter.

As mentioned above, there are certainly converters that will adapt for high and low wattage appliances.
Contact Magellan's, a travel store that is located in California. They have a toll free number. They
have all kinds of wonderful travel products and are
experts on advising what kind of converter and plug adapters you will need, and they ship quickly.

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 05:20 AM
Sara

Depending on where you are staying, your hotel might be able to supply some of the electrical appliances that you need. Also, have you considered simply purchasing what you need in a store at your destination?

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 07:05 AM
Maribeth

Sara,

Yes, I have thought of purchasing items when we get there. Thanks for the tip!

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 07:07 AM
Maribeth

Elaine,

Will be calling Magellan's today. THANKS! So glad to have a source to call that is an expert.

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 09:23 AM
kam

Get really expert advice!! I never run my dual voltage hair dryer at full wattage because it blows the fuse all the time--400 watts is all I can use. A friend of ours once melted her hairbrush onto her hair in Mexico and her husband had to cut her loose!! So, be very careful with that curling iron. Can you just make do with a hair dryer?? If so, you will lighten your suitcase as well. I finally bought a dryer for UK and Italy when staying in both those countries--we go a lot and it was just simpler to do that!