Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe Agenda: Any ideas or suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:44 PM
nevil

Single, male, travelling alone. Interested in architecture, medieval castles, lots of beer and wine! Think Europe’s the place?!! Plan on staying in budget hotels ($50-60 E/night?) and eating at a lot of food stands, can’t wait for that! I have a Rail Pass, not driving, looking to situate myself in smaller cities or towns and do little day trips by train, bike or walking. Not REALLY interested in too many of the big cities, too crowded? One thing that concerned me is being able to find a hotel on… oh…about 2 minutes notice!! I’m going to book for the first days and just kind of wing the rest, bad idea? Sounds a bit crammed, but here goes:<BR><BR>Land in Paris: not staying<BR>Tours-2 days<BR>San Sebastian and area-5 days<BR>Barcelona-2 days<BR>Provence-2 days (Avignon? Arles?)<BR>Tuscany-3 days (Orvieto?)<BR>Switzerland-3 days (near Interlaken?)<BR>Black Forest-2 days (where to stay?)<BR>Rothenburg-2 days<BR>Maybe Leipzig?-2 days<BR>Trier-2 days (visit Lux as well)<BR>Brugge-2 days<BR>Amsterdam-3 days<BR><BR>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Jan

Nevil,<BR>You are going to have a blast! You have packed a ton in and I would suggest maybe too much. As a single guy traveling, you have a lot of flexibility and I don't think that accomodations will be an issue. What time of year are you coming over? I would suggest checking for festivals etc. ie Montreux's jazz festival (going on NOW), truffle festivals. You may jsut want to chuck all of your plans and go where the winds blow you. I did this years (and years) ago, it was the BEST way to travel.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:44 AM
nevil

Thanks for the response! I land in Paris July 16th, guess the Montreaux festival will be over by then. You are exactly right, just gonna wing it...somewhat, I do want to go to all these places, but only have a month...unless I don't come back at all!!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Jan

Nevil,<BR>The Montreux Jazz Fest. ends on July 20th, so if you are ambitious, you may make it! Then, on July 19th, Luzern kicks off the Blue Balls Festival - Yes! It is a music festival. http://www.blueballs.ch/en/contact.html<BR>Enjoy!<BR>Jan<BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Janine

If you can manage to squeeze in the Czech Republic, I think you'll find exactly what you're looking for, esp. in Prague and around Cesky Krumlov. And beer is ridiculously cheap! However, you may find last-minute accommodation difficult at this time. And if you are Canadian (?) you will need a visa to enter the country.<BR><BR>You should also consider including Munich. Apart from the beer halls, there are some great castles in and around the area. I did a fantastic day trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle recently with Mike's Bike Tours, which included cycling, swimming, and a hike up the gorge for some spectacular views of the castle and surrounding Alpine scenery. There was even the option for para-sailing.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Marla

Don't forget Prague--not expensive and lots of beautiful buildings. Also there's a train from Switzerland to Italy--Lake Region--the "Bernina Express Train, Switzerland"--type out in Google just like above and get information. Provence especially Arles is really nice--one of our favorites. Have fun and take a small language dictionary like the one Rick Steves publishes.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:01 AM
nevil

Thanks for all your help, everyone!! Blue Balls Festival?! Great name, hopefully won't have to deal with that issue, though!! <BR>Czech Rep sounds great, hear there are plenty of beautiful women as well as great sites. Of' course, cheap beer is ALWAYS intriguing. Have to keep that in mind for sure, Munich as well.<BR><BR>Thanks Again!<BR>Nevil

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Leslie

My comments:<BR><BR>I think Blois is a nicer town to visit than Tours.<BR><BR>You might consider Siena - rather than Orvieto, although I love both. Siena is not as far south and you can probably train or bus some day trips to more nearby Tuscan hilltowns.<BR><BR>I think Bavaria/Munich might be more interesting than the Black Forest.<BR><BR>These are great places...Just find it hard to imagine skipping Paris if you've never been there before! Same for Rome if, indeed, you're going as far south as Orvieto. Yes there are crowds, but what an incredible couple of cities!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:45 AM
nevil

Thanks Leslie! I've been hearing Munich is a must, I'm there. Will look into Blois ans Siena for sure. Greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Nevil

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:58 AM
swiss

With your frequency of trips, use Switzerland as a respite from travelling - go to a place like Zermatt (since you're coming from the south, go via Geneva to Visp or Brig, then change for the small train to Zermatt). And just HANG OUT there - do some hiking or take the smaller train up to the Gornergrat if the weather's right, go to the Alpine museum or take a swim indoors if it's raining, and of course admire the Matterhorn. Plus, the advantage with Zermatt is, you can get on the Glacier Express train and go all the way to St. Moritz, then back west toward Chur and head up north into Germany. Don't bother with Interlaken - it's something in every tourguide and once you arrive there, you'll feel like every tour is passing through. Plus, you'll have to go further on to really appreciate the mountains. If that's your intent, then use Interlaken as a transit point to Murren, Wengen or Grindelwald. In any case, if you're traveliing up until September, then it usually pays to book in advance. After September, don't worry. Or, as you sound pretty cool and collected, go ahead and just wing it. Something always works out in the end...! P.S. Switzerland will appear expensive, but hey, you get a hell of scenic treat.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:01 AM
nevil

Thanks for the advice! Zermatt sounds like a solid base. <BR><BR>Yes, I hear Switzerland is pretty pricey, but as long as beer is relatively inexpensive ($3E at the most?), I'm fine!! <BR><BR>Actually, do they use the Euro in Switzerland or only Swiss Francs?<BR><BR>Thanks Again!<BR><BR>Nevil

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Dick Yeager

nevil,<BR><BR>The beer is more than E3, but forget how much. Knowing Switzerland, probably at least E4 for the same thing you get in Germany and Austria for E3. Again, Switzerland is expensive.<BR><BR>The Swiss Franc is still the official money in Switzerland. However, you may pay in Euro and you will receive your change in Swiss Francs.<BR><BR>Keep in mind, when you are ready to leave Switzerland, you cannot cash in your coins. Spend them or keep them. You will have a few.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:53 AM
trying

A couple additional comments. I don't know if you explained, but I would give Paris at least a day or two, if nothing else to get your legs back upon arrival, unless you simply are sick of Paris after previous visits. Rothenburg is neat, but 2 days is a bit much (unless you are just wrapping it around one night). Visit the Steffe (sp?) Henry brewery in Bruges; maybe take the tour. Pick up large, relatively inexpensive bottles there in cardboard carriers to tide you over to your next stop. Also, for our sake, keep a record of where you go and what regional beer you enjoyed. 1664 in Paris, Bitburg in Trier, Amstel in A'dam, a million different beers in Bruges. Just a note: Maybe it is one and the same, but Amstel in A'dam is not "light", but I can't find non-"light" Amstel in the States.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:56 AM
nevil

Thanks Dick, appreciate the info!<BR><BR>Anyone have any ideas as to a decent pub or bar with a nice mix of locals/fellow travellers in Zermatt?...or for that matter, anywhere on my agenda?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Nevil

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:17 AM
nevil

Thanks for your reply, “trying”. I will definitely keep a log of all my activities, beer and wines, etc. to post when I (or if I) return!<BR><BR>I’m beginning to think Paris should be in my agenda. I’ve heard good and bad, but you never know until you try. Since I’m landing there, guess it would be only prudent to give it a shot. The only European destination I’ve ever been to is Ibiza, a couple of months ago, so it’s all new to me.<BR><BR>We have an Amstel brewery in Toronto, they have Amstel light, it’s OK, but since it’s brewed here, doubt it tastes like the real deal.<BR><BR>Nevil<BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Susan

Nevil, Just returned from 3 weeks last Monday. 5 days in Amsterday solo, the rest (luckily staying) with a friend who lives in Montreux. Here's my two cents worth:<BR><BR>Switzerland is fantastic but quite expensive (you will not find a $60/night hotel room in Montreux). Having said that, the jazz festival there has lots of outdoor free stuff so even if you don't have tickets to main shows you could have a blast. They use Swiss Franc (I never saw Euros used while I was there).<BR><BR>I found Amsterdam to be fun and surprisinly cheap. Plenty of hotel rooms in your price range. And food, beer, 'coffeeshops' if that interests you all quite reasonable.<BR><BR>The problem I see (IMHO) is you're hitting too many places too quickly. You have to consider EACH time you change locations you eat up a good part of the day and at least some extra cash... checking out of your hotel, getting to the train station, train travel time, finding (especially with no reservations) a new hotel in a new city.<BR><BR>I love Paris and would add a few days when you 1st land on your agenda there. Jetlag really hits me hard and I find it helpful to stay put a few days with no plans to get acclimated. Getting sleep whenever I fall over, drinking lots of wine, walking the neighborhood, is my personal cure. Try 5th or 7th arrondisement maybe?<BR><BR>I am not familiar with your other choices but I'd recommend crossing off (call it saving until your next trip!) at least some of the destinations and adding a day or two to the places you do go.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Fritz

Great plan!<BR><BR>Like other posters have mentioned, you have crammed a bit, but I think you'll manage. I don't think you should be too concerned with finding accomodation, especially as you come into the smaller towns.<BR><BR>You should also take away the question mark from LEIPZIG - you'll have a great time there! Stop on the way to Leipzig in Weimar, Erfurt, or Jena (all three are fascinating small cities), go to a restaurant and order a Koestritzer Schwartzbier. It is a great, smooth dark beer. A perfect reward for a job well done on the road. <BR><BR>Good luck! Let us know how your trip goes!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:46 PM
nevil

You guys (and girls) are the best! So many ideas for a rookie like myself, they are GREATLY appreciated.<BR><BR>I agree, probably trying to jam in too many places in too short a period. I may hang out in Paris for a day, chop Barcelona, the Black Forest and Trier. Spend a couple of days in the Munich area, drop by Rothenburg for a day on my way to Leipzig and Weimar. Sound a little better?<BR><BR>As for Amsterdam, glad to hear it’s not too expensive, that’s my last stop before flying home. Hopefully have enough left over to ‘spin up a couple of coffee’s’!!<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR><BR>Nevil<BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:53 AM
swiss

Nevil - back again about Zermatt. Try the Hexen-Bar (Witch's Bar) in the town, it's toward the end away from the train station. They've got local handicrafts and witch dolls hanging around... Zermatt will be a mix of local rusticalia and modern high-tech - don't be surprised at passing a McDonald's in the village, but it's pretty well camouflaged in an older building. They've got older, chalet buildings in the village, plus there's a cemetery where they've buried all the folk who took nasty spills on the Matterhorn, so it's something to "see". And the Alpine Museum. If you are reasonably fit then by all means get out and do some hiking or walking - Sunegga plateau is great; the Mattertal valley will take you right by the Matterhorn; or the Gornergrat will put you at 3000 or so meters. <BR><BR>Now, as far as bar or pub culture goes, absolutely pass through Munich in southern Germany on your way north - they've got some of the most jovial, authentic beer atmosphere I've seen, with Pilsener, Paulaner, and Hacker Pschor (sp?) just some of the local brands sold there. And the beer is GOOD - you wait a couple minutes for them to pull a draft, since the foam head is thick and plenty on top. They've got everything from noisy, arm-in-arm singing beer halls to basement piano bars (forget the name of the city area, but it's where you can walk down a famous "curved" street, something for your architectural interests...). And as you go north, consider Berlin vs. Leipzig. Berlin is where everything new and trendy is coming down in Germany, plus you've got old, classic and the latest architecture, and culture galore. Go stand in front of the Berliner Dom and on the huge square surrounded by museums and you'll see what I mean...

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:28 AM
nevil

Thanks Swiss!! A plethora of info which indeed will come in handy. Can't wait to post details when I return!<BR><BR>Nevil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -