Euronight Trains

Search

Euronight Trains

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euronight Trains

I'm working on the plan for a trip in the fall and am considering going from Paris to Vienna. Die Bahn lists a direct overnight train (no changes) call on what they call a "EuroNight". Has anyone taken this route specifically and/or a EuroNight train? Would appreciate any input.
Rick
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:23 PM
ira

Hi Rick,

You can fly Volare for a lot less.

www.volareweb.com
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM
yk

Ira-
Volare flies to Vienna?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:03 PM

I've taken a night train from Paris to Munich, which I assume is about the same. What you you want to know?

There's good night train info, including prices, at:
http://www.euraide.de
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM
rex

Actually you can fly from Paris to "Vienna" (actually Bratislava, which they are calling "Vienna/Bratislava&quot on www.skyeurope.com - - a 45 minute shuttle ride away from Vienna proper. Right now all flights are 25 euro (plus taxes? I haven't looked into that); the shuttle is 10 euro.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 04:03 AM
ira

OOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPS,

Sorry. I misread that as Venice.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:57 AM

I've done the night train from Brussels to Vienna. Yes, it's long, but if you like train rides, no problem. You will not see too much scenery, depending on how late in the fall you're going. You will see some scenery once you wake up in the morning and head through Austria. That's very nice. I remember watching the snow coming down, seeing deer at the edge of forests, a fox running through a field, etc.
I've taken several overnight trains in Europe and much prefer having a compartment to myself (or only with my traveling partner). That will raise the price $$ quite a bit, but to me, it is DEFINITELY worth it. I don't like spending the night with strangers or worrying about my valuables.
For less money, you can take a couchette that you share with others. I haven't done that since 1986 and have NO desire to do it again, but you may hear differently here.
I leave next Saturday for 12 days in Vienna and am taking the day train. A long ride (about 13 hours), but I like the scenery and I'm riding with a friend who's getting off in Nuremberg.
Enjoy the ride!