Euronight Roma Train trip advice please

Apr 28th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Euronight Roma Train trip advice please

Hi all we will be travelling on the overnight Eurnight Roma from Interlaken to Rome and would like to know if anyone has any experience of this trip and any suggestions etc.
Apr 29th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

anyone?...
Apr 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM

The night train goes from Basel to Roma. From Interlaken, you change trains at Spiez, leaving Spiez at 2310 and arriving in Roma at 0912. The train has sleepers and couchettes.
Apr 30th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

So can we get a double sleeper and that will be comfortable etc? Will we be woken up a lot during the night?
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Nobody will wake you up: you give your passport and tickets to the sleeping car attendant in the evening, and he'll return them in the morning (the police and customs officials are entitled to wake you at the border, but that is very rare).
Whether you can sleep will depend on how well you normally sleep and how tired you are.
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:05 AM
ira

Hi A,

You can see the full itinerary of the train at www.bahn.de

There are no stops from about 01:00 until you get to Florence.

Apr 30th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Though it is not listed on the DB site, this train also stops in Bologna at 5:19.

Sorry, I can't give you any specific information regarding this journey, as I've never taken this train but we are planning the same journey for this June except we'll be getting off in Florence. In general, I have always found sleepers in Italy to be clean and comfortable.

What I am would like to know which you may be interested to find out as well, is how to book the "Smart Price" fare for this journey. It is advertised on both Trenitalia.com and SBB.ch for 79 EUR per person in a double sleeper which is less than half the standard rate, but I cannot figure out a way to purchase this fare. Trenitalia will quote this price, however it will not let you book it at this fare.
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:13 AM
ira

Hi R,

>Trenitalia will quote this price, however it will not let you book it at this fare.

Tren will only let you buy the ticket if you are leaving from Italy, if at all.

Apr 30th, 2007, 06:23 AM

We know some people in Italy whose address we can use to have the tickets mailed. The site will allow me to buy the regular fare tickets, just not the "Smart Price" tickets. I tried a travel agent in Europe with access to the same fares one would receive in an Italian train station, but they were unable to get this fare either.

I looks like it is simply not available even though it is advertised. Dates do not seem to make a difference either. I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything before a go ahead and purchase the full fare tickets.
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM
ira

Hi Rip,

From the Tren site:

Switzerland starting from 19 euro
On all day trains Cisalpino, except for the IC 350/353 "Brianza" and the IC 351 "Lario", 19 euros for seat in 2nd class.
On the "Luna" Euronight train leaving from Rome, Florence, Bologna for Geneva, Basel and Zurich, and from Venice for Geneva and Zurich: 39 euros for couchette in 6-place compartment; 49 euros for bed in 4-place compartment; 59 euros for bed in 3-place compartment; 79 euros for bed in 2-place cabin; 119 euros for bed in single compartment. <

Note that it is for trains going from, not to, Italy.

The Italian language site says the same thing.
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Hi Ira,

If you look further, here are the smart price regulations from Trenitalia:

Regulations
SMART OFFER Regulations

Caratteristiche

The Smart is an offer which has limited seats and which is subject to special conditions of Sale and use.

The Smart offer is made up of two price levels: once the availability of seats offered at the first price level (the lowest) is used up, you can buy Smart tickets at a higher price in the second price category.
The availability of the seats, for both price levels, is however subject to limitations.

The Smart offer allows a one-way journey to be made at an all-in price on the international sections of the following trains:

Elipsos trains “Salvador Dalì”: Milan–Barcelona and back

Cisalpino trains: Italy–Switzerland and back

Switzerland Night Trains: Italy–Switzerland and back

Artesia trains: Italy-Paris and back

Riviera trains: Italy-Nice and back

Germany Day and Night trains: Italy-Munich and back

Allegro trains: Italy–Vienna/Prague and back

Eastern Europe trains: Italy–Slovenia/Croatia/Serbia/Hungary/Romania and back

Prices include reservation of seat (2nd class only), couchette or bed, and are differentiated depending on the accommodation chosen and requested journey section.

The offer cannot be added on to other reductions in price for any reason (including those for children or groups) or to any special offers running on the purchase date.
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

wow thanks guys for the great info! We are purchasing a Eurail pass so does anyone know how much the double sleeper compartment will cost on top? Also when should we book?
Apr 30th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Hi Adel,

It is 65 EUR for a space in a double sleeper with a Eurail pass. If you are using a Eurail Select Pass, you will only use one rail day which will be the day of arrival. Since you will have already validated for the day you arrive, any journeys you make on this day will not use any additional days on your pass.

You can make a reservation from any train station or authorized travel agent in Europe and you can make them any time up until departure. If you know which train you want it makes sense to reserve as far in advance as you can to avoid having all the sleeper berths being sold out.
Apr 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
ira

Hi adelcouple,

>wow thanks guys for the great info! We are purchasing a Eurail pass ...

Are you sure you need one?

Have you entered your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and clicked "only if it saves money"?

Apr 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
ira

Hi Rip,

You are doing a round trip?

May 1st, 2007, 03:28 AM

Hi Ira,

No, only one way. In speaking with some folks more familiar with this stuff than I, it is my understanding that these fares are one-way (no return trip necessary) and they are valid in either direction.

>>>The Smart offer allows a one-way journey to be made at an all-in price on the international sections of the following trains: <<<

I think I may have found the reason why I am having trouble booking these fares. See here if interested:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...me=ripit&fid=2

May 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM
ira

Hi R,

Your link brings up a list of your posts, not a thread.

May 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM

Sorry Ira, try this one:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34990889