Search

Euro rail

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Bill

Euro rail

I am planning a business/ holiday trip ti Europe in September with my wife. We will begin in London and conclude in Paris. We will also stop in Germany, Sweden, Amsterdam and Italy. Could anyone tell me if Euro rail will fit our needs. We will be in Europe almost 2 weeks. <BR>Thank you <BR>Bill

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 04:17 PM
elvira

I'm assuming your talking about a railpass. There are several options; if you check the www.raileurope.com site, you can find the descriptions and costs. Those passes do NOT cover Britain, but do give a discount on the Eurostar (London&lt;&gt;Paris) train. <BR> <BR>Though point-to-point tickets might be cheaper, the passes save time (no waiting in line to buy tickets) and make your travel very flexible.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 04:27 PM
Tony

A Eurail pass would be perfect except for the Swedish part of your trip. <BR>Sweden is quite a long way from Holland and most of Germany, particularly if,by Sweden, you mean Stockholm. Is Sweden essential for business? If not I would miss it this trip so that you can better concentrate on Holland, Germany, Italy and Paris, all of which can be done quickly and comfortably by a variety of excellent rail round trips, and which would also include Switzerland en route from Germany to Italy. <BR>If Sweden is essential, then you really only have two choices - an overnight train, which I would not recommend, or an intra Europe flight, which may be better organised before you leave home.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Bill Supper

Thank you both for your insight. Sweden is for business but it is possible that I do not spend time there on this trip. <BR>I will check out www.raileurope. <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 11:25 AM
naomi

On Rick Steves' website are maps which will give you a rough idea of the cost of point-to-point rail tickets for various locations versus different types of rail passes. It helped us do the math and make our rail pass decisions. I believe the costs he lists are all second-class, per person rail fares, so keep that in mind as well.