Reload this Page >

Euro bring higher prices??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:21 AM
John

Just checked our favorite hotel in Rothenberg Germany since the change to the euro. The base rate has gone from 95 marks to 75 euros. Based on the dollar, this hotel is now going to cost me rougly $22 per night more. Is this going to be a common practice in Germany with the new currency?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
Martin

Hotel prices (like airline prices) are governed by customer demand not currency<BR><BR>If anything , here in Dublin, prices seem to have been rounded down.<BR><BR>Also the ? has started to strengthen against the $ so your currency will buy you less at the moment

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:59 AM
wes fowler

I think Germany's present sluggish economy is more responsible for the dramatic increase in rates coupled with demand rather than the Euro being the prime cause for higher prices.<BR><BR>European economists do expect a slight increase in costs due to "rounding up" of prices from the former national currencies to the Euro. That "rounding up" should be negligible.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:01 AM
jal

Just a question, are both rates for the exact same type of room? When was the 95 mark price valid?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:37 AM
john

Yes the rates are for the same rooms. Ones that we have stayed in a couple of times. I looked at the rate late last year (2001)

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Gar

hi there,<BR>yes, "rounding up" of prices is the game they play the last days. Prices for food rise about 7 percent, for gas 4 percent ... But a hotel from Dm 95 to EUR 75, hm, thats too much. I would ask those guys about this. <BR>Gar

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:38 AM
xxx

95 DM is apr. 45.00 what exactly do you expect for this paltry amount? It aint gonna be the ritz!!!!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Paige

I've seen lots of little increases so far. Like 80 euro cents for the 1,50 dm public toilet. Or 1 euro deposit on shopping carts instead of 1dm. I think lots of business will sneak in little increases because it's hard to tell. I'm totally shocked that a hotel would effectively raise their rate from 95dm to 150dm! That's outrageous. Are you going the same time of year? Maybe the higher rate is at a time of higher demand, or maybe they refurbished the rooms or something.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Pauline

Looks like my hotel in Amsterdam is a good booking.<BR>Double room, 2001 rate, Euro 172.44.<BR>Actual confirmed bookig price for Sept 2002, Double room, canal view, single person, Euro 152.00..At todays rate, a saving of AUD34.00..I'm not complaining.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Bob C

The price should have been 48.57 euros. Based on what they told you the prices have about doubled, could be an error on their part. Exchange rate is 1.95583 marks to the euro.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
MHS

This is just the question I have about the change (which saddens me, part of the fun of a European vacation is using the local currency, most of which is quite attractive in appearance). Will hotel and dining costs in Spain now rise to be the same as those in Paris? Or, basically the same question in a different format, pre-Euro one could consider the individual exchange rate for selection a "budget" country -- will all countries now cost the same, so there will be no "budget" European destinations?<BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Sjoerd

MHS: to answer your question: does a hotel room in Small Town, Wyoming, cost as much as a hotel room in New York City or San Francisco? Do restaurants in Little Spot, Idaho charge the same prices as restaurants in Washington DC or Miami Beach?