Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Euro at 1.53. It just hit my limit and I'll look elsewhere for my travels unfortunately.

Search

Euro at 1.53. It just hit my limit and I'll look elsewhere for my travels unfortunately.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked today and the dollar has sunk yet again to 1.53. I will have to travel to Europe vicariously through other posters. That is my limit and I cant justify travelling to Europe even to Portugal which might be one of the least expensive countries in Europe. Oh well, I am glad that I made a few trips when the dollar was not so bad. To those who can still afford it, best to you and enjoy your adventures.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM

Don't feel too badly as I am sure it will eventually get better. We've opted for two weeks at the beach here at home this year but will be going to China and VietNam next February and the exchange rate in China isn't the greatest but we chalk it up to the price of travel.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM

<<< even to Portugal which might be one of the least expensive countries in Europe >>>

Try Eastern Europe - perhaps one of the Balkans
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:30 AM
ira

Hi T,

How much more expensive is Europe with the Euro at $1.53 than at $1.52, or is this a matter of principle?

If you go to Scandinavia r the UK, you won't have to use Euros.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:41 AM

I think anyone who has been to Norway recently will tell you they have installed defibrillators at the checkout counters, as so many Americans were passing out when they realised how much the items purchased cost in dollars....
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:44 AM

ira--of course it's not much different at all. But most of us do have to draw a line somewhere. Our line was at about $1.40. Last year we went to Alaska--airfare was $475 from Baltimore, even though the distance is actually a tad further than where we had hoped to go in Europe. We've decided to go to Hawaii this year--never been before and airfare from the east coast is under $500 with all taxes, fuel charges, etc.

By the way, the Alaska trip was fabulous--we have been to many parts of the world, but none surpass Alaska for natural beauty and wildlife, plus it has a special cultural "feel" even though it's part of the USA. Whales, moose, wolves, and drive-thru espresso stands galore!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM

For the umpteenth time...

Simply cut down a tad on things such as lodging, meals.

Use public transportation instead of taxis.

Don't bother shopping unless it is for souvenirs or small gifts...there is nothing to buy that you can't get just as easily and for less money at home...just because you bought a set of glasses, for example, in Venice doesn't make it a better buy than getting it at home (and believe me when entertaining nobody will know the difference).

By doing these simple things, you'll find you'll do just fine in visiting Europe.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Oil hits $106.00/barrel this A.M. This commodity price is much more of a travel killer than Euro rise. In addition to domestic fuel prices going over $4.00/gallon very soon; the ripple effect will wreak havoc on all consumer prices
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:54 AM

Some people were already bare bones travelers, so cutting back wouldn't be an option--unless, I guess, they sleep on the street and forage for food in trash bins! lol
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:39 AM

We will be in leiden in six weeks, staying in apartment for two weeks.
Our current plan is two meals in restaurants in Amsterdam, two in Leiden, and three in Brugge during a side trip there. A five day rail pass is included with the apartment rental.

The rest of our dinners will be in the apartmement, and lunches will be picnic types of meats, cheese, and smoked eel. The cost of the Brugge trip will be paid for by the $600.00 our president is sending us.

We don't anticipate many other expenses except for bicycle rentals and chocolates for our cat sitter and plant waterer.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Jake1, I LOVE Alaska too!! Most beautiful place in the world IMO! I love Europe, but we will cut back a bit now on the E trips.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Well,there's always the UK...the GBP has hovered around $2 for a while and not had the current rise the euro has had...sort of validates the decision of the UK to stay away from the euro giving them the opportunity to control their interest rates and try to keep some sense in the exchange process...many of the members of the eu which use the euro want to lower interest rates to fight inflation but the central bank is in control of "hard liners" who evidently feel the direction to go is an overvalued euro.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Incidentally, just read in the Evening Standard that it is expected that petrol (gasoline) in the UK will hit the £5/imperial gallon mark in the very near future...bear in mind 5 US gallons are 4 imperial gallons which if my math is correct means about £4/US gallon or $8/US gallon (even though the eu has forced them to sell petrol by the liter)....
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"many of the members of the eu which use the euro want to lower interest rates to fight inflation"

I am not judging this, as my grasp of Economics is limited, but don't central banks usually raise interest rates to control inflation (To raise the cost of borrowing and so make it less affordable to buy on credit).

And another genuine question, is the Euro overvalued or just the dollar falling. Certainly the £ to $ rate seems to have taken a dive recently, but the £/$ is still good for the UK.

How has the Euro done against the Yen and Yuan?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM

I just read an article about Argentina being a great destination to get the most for your money. You can check out the article, they have some other cool ideas. www.specialtytravelagents.com
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM

"many of the members of the eu which use the euro want to lower interest rates to fight inflation"

The poster's got the argument right, but the motives the wrong way round.

The ECB is required by its charter to fight inflation. Unlike the Fed, it's not supposed to worry about economic growth. So it doesn't want to lower rates. Some eurozone politicians want rates down to encourage economic growth.

In 2007, the euro actually APPRECIATED against the yuan, making Chinese imports cheaper.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Travelme, I went to Mexico City last month for a week. For about $120 USD per day (or 80 Euros) inclusive, I was able to stay in a 4* hotel, take several very good all-day tours, go to the ballet, visit some excellent museums, take taxis to/from the airport, and go to a guidebook restaurant most nights (except when too tired). So for me, this was a trip bordering on luxury, for the same price as a budget European trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM

travelme,

Post an itinerary of where you would like to go, and what you would like to see. Give us a budget. Sit back and let Fodorites work their magic. It is too easy to let something you cannot control (exchange rates) determine whether you go on vacation, versus actually looking at the costs of a vacation, which you can control.

A recent posting here stuck in my mind, someone who compared spending a month in a cottage in the countryside of Italy versus a holiday at Disneyworld. And it was similar or less to go to Italy.

I'm Canadian, we've lived with these rates for a long time, with a currency that supposeldy has 20% less buying power than the USD. And yet...we travel.

Don't give up.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Michael--yes, costs can be controlled to a degree, but there are limits given one's disposable income and what one wants out of a vacation. Eventually, most people would reach a point where the vacation just costs too much for what you get. For example, we do usually stay at inexpensive B&Bs, pensions, private homes, etc.; lunches we usually buy at street stands or put together at supermarkets.

But if even those would become too expensive because of the exchange rate, we could always save money by camping and foraging for berries in the woods. But if we hate camping and like to occasionally dine using plates, knives and forks, then we would not enjoy our vacation by saving money that way, then it just would not be worth it.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
heck dollar's not doing so peachy again the Swiss Franc either.

For me the problem is not 1.51 or 1.53 it's the over all package. Airfare (from Seattle) is high, hotels in the places I'd want to visit not cheap, plus I travel solo. The 5 trips I've had the pleasure to make to Europe in the past decade, the budget WAS already as low as I'd be willing to go.

I did the math & can take 2 trips, 1-wk each tropical vacations (Mexico or Hawaii) for the price of 1 week in Switzerland this year.
(I know there are cheaper places than Switzerland or Hawaii but am comparing three destinations I've been to before so feel confident about accurate pricing comparison).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -