Eurail Youth Pass

Feb 21st, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Eurail Youth Pass

I priced a 2 month Eurail Youth pass at $1043 Canadian, after all taxes. I then priced the same pass on http://www.eurotrip.com for $908 Canadian after all the taxes. Is it better to buy directly from Rail Europe's official website or does it not make a difference? Thanks! =)
Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
ira

HI L,

Before buying any railpass, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves money".

Buy your railpass from the cheapest vendor, if you need one. They all sail the same passes.

Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM

Where you buy the pass is irrelevant as it's the same pass - most likely originated by RailEurope and passes are supposed to all be sold at the same price, set by the Eurail Committee in Utrecht Holland i believe - at least that's the case in the US - have to be sold at same price but handling and mailing fees can be added. Could you be mixing up the $908 Can for US? But Canada may be different. by all means take Ira's advice - there are many other types of youth passes - Eurail Select for up to 5 countries, two country youth passes, etc. - Sometimes a combination of different type passes is better than the two straight month pass - but often it's not, especially if you don't want to pin down your travel plans as you must do with the Select pass or any flexi pass where you buy a certain number of days out of a two month period. And the first few days upon landing and at your departure city would probably not require a pass - spend five days in Paris at first and some days in Amsterdam or Rome at the end - if going to Britain or Czech Republic, or some other Eastern European countries and the pass is not valid. The Swiss pass is a good example of being an excellence deal - theyouth version - if spending much time there - lots more benefits than Eurail.
I'm perplexed by the difference in prices as this is against the Eurail rules as i understand them but i may well be wrong - never seen a variance in prices before.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

The $908 on the www.eurotrip.com site is clearly in US dollars and thus should be roughly equivalent to the $1043 Can $ price - confirming again that railpasses are sold at a set price no matter where, inside that country, they are sold. I'm not 100% sure of this but 99.9% as in 30 years i've never seen a variance in prices. Rumors are this could well change in 2007 however.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

Railpass prices are set by the indivdual railroads involved and that includes RailEurope which is basically owned by the SNCF and the SBB. Any additional costs would be imposed by the agencies themselves such as for S+H fees.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

Actually there are at least five different companies in the US, the big gorilla of which is RailEurope, that sell railpasses independently of each other - at prices set by the Eurail Committe in Utrecht Holland - we are talking about Eurailpasses. RailEurope does originate some passes of their own and they bargain with railways involved for the price i guess.
Yes shipping fees, handling fees are extra.
Expect big revolutionary changes in the set in concrete prices of Eurailpasses in 2007, if rumors are true where prices may well vary from agent to agent.