Eurail reservations needed?

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Sheila

Eurail reservations needed?

My friends and I will purchase the Eurail passes throught May and June, will we still need to make reservations for the trips we plan to make? And does will included buses throughout the cities?
Thanks for any responses.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 02:45 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Dear Ms Haran,

Yes, on Friday afternoons and Friday evenings, and from 27 April to 2 May, 31 May to 5 June, and around other national public holidays. If you'll kindly say which countries you'll be in I'll tell you dates of public holidays.

Most sleepers and couchettes are best booked a few days before travel.

Reservations are compulsory on Eurostar, Thalys, and on the fastest trains of Spain, France, Italy, Sweden, Poland, Hungary, Romania, and some other countries. Again, if you'll sketch your route and dates I'll be able to comment further. You can make all reservations from any large station in western Europe, more cheaply than in north America, and can probably wait to make them till you're in Europe.

You wrote "And does will included buses throughout the cities?" Please can you repeat the questrion ?

Ben Haines, London

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Mariarosa

If the question is whether Eurail includes buses - no it does not include any buses, neither inter-city or intracity.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:26 AM
greg

Pretty good description of what it covers or gives discount can be found at:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/eurailpass.htm

go half way down and click "complete list of bonuses", then click a country of interest.

Eurail mostly covers national railroad systems. There are other private railroad companies that do not participate in Eurail. Some intercity buses and boats are covered or discounted (described at WEB above). The city buses are usually operated by regional transit authorities and they DO NOT participate in Eurail.

Read the booklet that comes with the passes very carefully. There are stiff fines for not having the correct ticket. I have seen it done, it looked more like an interrogation.

Regarding reservation: some trains are easy, the schedule says Compulsory Reservation or Reservation Required. Some trains you cannot reserve. For the others, Ben's explanation is as good as you can get. Holidays, beginning of weekends are more crowded. You get better luck finding an empty seat without reservation in 1st class. It seemed only businessmen, tourists, and seniors using discounts ride the 1st class. Locals and students usually ride the 2nd class. We travelled in July and we did not make reservation when not compulsory. We had one experience not finding any seat, that was in France.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:03 AM
wasik

gush gush!