Eurail pass/ visiting Belgium, Paris, Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are staying in Brussels for 7 nights. We plan to visit Paris, Amsterdam, Germany (most likely Cologne), Brugge and possibly Antwerp via the Eurail. We've each purchased the 3 country pass and we're trying to work out when to go visit the various places we want to see. We were planning on making train reservations once we arrive in Belgium. Would we save much money if we did that before we leave and is that even possible? Quite frankly the whole Eurail system confuses me-my friend has traveled via Eurail before and says we won't have a problem if we wait to make reservations. I just don't want to run the risk of not being able to visit the countries we want to. And if anyone has any comments about "must see" attractions in any of the countries we'll be in feel free to share. Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:24 AM

Just to clarify... you are staying in Brussels for 7 nights, THEN you are doing this other travel?...Or are you trying to go out and come back on the same day to each city?...
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:42 AM

A 3-country pass sounds kind of expensive for what you're contemplating. A Benelux pass will get you all over Belgium and Holland, with supplements to Cologne and Paris, for half the price. For future reference, you can evaluate your rail options at

<b>http://www.railsaver.com</b>
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:04 AM
ira

Dear dana,

First go to www.railsaver.com and see if your railpass actually saves you money.

If not turn it back in for a refund.

Reservations (reserved seats) will cost extra - about 5-12 USD, depending on which train.

If your idea is to stay in Brussels and do daytrips, you can get all of your reservations your firt day in Brussels.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut-
We are staying in Brussels and are planning to take day trips to other countries.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:44 AM

Since you've already bought the passes it seems a bit late in the game to be going to Railsaver to find out if you &quot;svaed money&quot; so I'll try to address the ORIGINAL question about reservations:

I think your friend is correct in saying you do not need to get reservations until you arrive in Europe. They are much cheaper to buy there and for the places you want to visit you shouldn;t have any difficulty since there are many, many trains out of Brussels to all the locations you wish to visit.

You will NOT save money getting reservations in the US.

In terms of &quot;must sees&quot; (a term i personally do not like but I understand what you are asking) in terms of Cologne, the cathedral is probably the biggest &quot;attraction&quot; for visitors in that city..don't worry, you cannot miss it since it looms over the main rail station.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:47 AM

You probably <u>can</u> return your passes for a refund by paying a small fee. If you buy your replacement tickets from the same company, they may even waive the fee.

If the point-to-point arrangements you make by using railsaver.com save you more than the amount of the cancellation fee, this would be an attractive option. In your case, it could amount to several hundred dollars.

Bottom line: nothing is etched in stone; all is negotiable.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM
ira

Dear Dana,

I would rethink the idea of staying in Brussels and training to 5 other cities in 7 nights.

That's a lot of time on the road.

Assuming that you have already purchased your flights RT Brussels, I suggest that you do 2-3 nights there with a visit to Brugge one day, then train to Paris for 4-3 nights, return to Brussesl the day before flying home.

OR visit Amsterdam instead of Paris.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Dana, I'll take you at your word when you say, &quot;I just don't want to run the risk of not being able to visit the countries we want to&quot; (which I read as: you want to see many <i>places</i> this time, and save the many <i>things</i> for future trips.)

I've been playing with various scenarios that involve setting up at a base for a couple of days, making day trips from there, and then moving on. Much of the train travel can be in the evening, after many sights are closed.

Consider, for example, landing in Brussels, but not staying there until the end of the trip.

First day, land and move on to Amsterdam, stopping in Antwerp on the way. You can get partially un-jetlagged on the train, and it won't really matter how late you get to Amsterdam.

Second day, see Amsterdam and surrounding Holland all day.

Third day, go to Cologne, cruise the Rhine. Drink beer. You will only need to buy a point-to-point ticket from (probably) Arhem to Cologne.

Fourth day, do more Germany, then take the overnight train to Paris. (Again, you only have to pay for the part of the trip that's outside Benelux.)

Fifth day, begin a mind-numbing whirlwind tour of the City of Light.

Sixth day, finish up Paris and move on to Brussels.

Seventh day, Brussels with a side trip to Brugge.

Eighth day, maybe more Brussels (depending on your departure time.

Ninth day, collapse in a heap on your own sofa.