Eurail pass versus individual tickets

Feb 10th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Donna

Eurail pass versus individual tickets

My teenage daughter and I are flying into Paris in August and then plan to train to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Zurich(for our return flight). We'll be gone for 16 days and while I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper to purchase a Eurail Select Pass Saver before we leave, I'm hoping using this site will save me some "research" time. Also, after spending 4 days in Paris, I thought we should take the overnight train to Rome , leaves in the evening and gets in early morning. That would effectively, give us almost another full day in Paris and hopefully save travel time while we sleep. Does this make sense/ Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Feb 10th, 2002, 12:00 PM
David

I like this site for comparing point-to-point vs. passes:

http://www.railsaver.com/railsaver.asp

For checking prices make sure to check the box that says something about showing rail passes only if they save you money.

The train by night is a great way to get an extra day. I'm one of the ones that don't like it. Personal stuff, light sleeper, prone to motion sickness, want a shower the next morning and feel miserable.

Feb 10th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Betsy

Donna, my husband and used the Select Pass Saver for our trip last October. We went from Paris to Italy (Rome to Naples to Venice) back through Munich to Paris and it cost less than point-to-point tickets for our itinerary, according to www.railsaver.com. David gave you good advice, plug your itinerary into railsaver.com and check it out. I think I read on the Forum that the Select Pass Saver is on sale for about $200 right now; ours was $280 each, so check that out too.

Feb 10th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Donna

Thanks David and Betsy, I really appreciate your input. Betsy, when you took the train from Paris to Rome did you do the overnight trip and if so, did it stop for a connection in the middle of the night?

Feb 10th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Patrick

David. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I followed your suggestion and finally figured out how to submit for a series of day trips. We will be based in Amsterdam for 5 days and doing trips to Rotterdam, Delft, and Alkmaar. Then taking the train to Brugge and doing day trips from there to Brussels and to Antwerp. The site tells me that all these tickets will total $206 in first class, and although I checked to submit if the pass would save me money, it says that it wouldn't. Yet we can buy Benelux passes in first class for $122.50 that will cover 5 trips in a month -- all of the ones I mentioned. Why isn't that a better savings? Or am I not using the site correctly?