Eurail Pass

Jun 12th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Bridget

Eurail Pass

I'm going to be in Rome for four weeks and then traveling outside of Italy for two weeks after that. What type of Eurail pass should I purchase and do I have to purchase it in the US first? Or is it cheaper to buy individual rail tickets to the countries I want to travel to (probably three countries within two weeks).

Jun 12th, 2000, 01:55 PM
Tony

Bridget.

Whether you you use a Eurail or Europass depends largelt on where and how often you plan to use the trains. Obviously the more you use them the more viable a Pass becomes. You do have to buy Eurail passes outside of Europe.

One big advantage of passes is that you avoid the need to queue for tickets each time you travel - some queues can
be quite daunting.

The best way to assess what passes are avilable to suit your plans is to visit the Rick Steves site, which has the clearest explanation of passes that I have seen on a web site. www/ricksteves.com

Jun 12th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Tony

Bridget.

That should read www.ricksteves.com

Poor proof reading.

Jun 12th, 2000, 02:01 PM
elvira

Your choice among railpasses, then between a pass and individual tickets, depends on how much you'll travel, how far, when, etc.

Example: If you are staying in Rome, and doing short day trips, then individual tickets are cheapest of all. If, on the other hand, you're traveling all over Italy for a month, planning on taking trains every couple of days, then a railpass saves time and money.

Which three countries? There's a Europass, but it costs extra for Austria, for example.

Most of the passes you see advertised must be bought BERFORE you leave the U.S. - they are designed for tourists, and are not available to locals.

www.raileurope.com is a great source for getting an idea of what point-to-point tickets cost, as well as the different kinds of passes available.

Jun 15th, 2000, 06:26 AM
jwagner

An addendum to Elvira's message: Even if you are only passing through Austria from, say, Germany to Italy, you will be charged an additional fee for Austria. We found the Eurail pass to be a good value, however. We took a lot of night trains in order to save on hotels and maximize daylight.

Search this Thread