Search

Eurail Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurail Pass

I purchased a 1st class Eurail Pass. I'm traveling by train only in Italy. Do I have to make a reservation or can you just get on the train. Are all 1st class seats reserved?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM

>I'm traveling by train only in Italy.

Single tickets in Italy are a lot cheaper than a pass.

>Do I have to make a reservation or can you just get on the train.

It depends on the type of train.

>Are all 1st class seats reserved?

It depends on the type of train, but not on the class of the seats.

ES and ICPlus trains as well as night trains are reservation only. On IC trains reservation is optional. On other, slower trains there is no reservation.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM

The site http://tinyurl.com/eym5b is a primer on using trains in Europe. I think it will answer your questions and more.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 02:42 AM
ira

Hi CC,

ES*, IC+ and AV trains are reservation only. You must buy a seat reservation before boarding.

IC and R trains do not require reservations. You can just get on.

I suggest that you look up the prices of your train trips at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
choose "amica" fare.

The prices listed are with seat reservations, where required.

You can get about 80% refund on your railpass.

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 03:04 AM

Have a look at www.seat61.com
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 03:56 AM

You must also have your railpass validated on the first day you use it.

Reservations can be purchased at the station and are for a specific train and day. Yes, seat reservations for a 1st class Eurailpass are mandatory.

Your pass came with lots of information (I am looking at mine now) and this is all stated there. Also, their website is quite helpful and explains the use of the pass in detail.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Not sure I did the right thing by purchasing the rail pass before leaving the US but I'm sure I'll learn a lot just by experience.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi cc,

>Not sure I did the right thing by purchasing the rail pass...

If it turns out that its much cheaper to buy point-to-point tickets, you can get a refund on your railpass if you don't use it.

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:14 AM

In Jan i had a Eurailpass First class Pass and had to pay 15 euros ($20) to ride Eurostar Italia trains - the best trains and fastest and 5 euros to ride IC+ InterCityPlus trains - so this adds to the cost of the pass.

If you have bought an Italian Railpass (a k a Eurail Italy Pass) then you won't lose too much and if traveling a lot may be a good deal

but if you have the classic Eurailpass good in 18 countries and are only going to Italy whoever sold that to you should have recommended an Italy Pass instead (actually should have recommended point-point tickets as you go along or on www.trenitalia.com but many agents who only sell a few railpasses may not realize that and just buy the old 'you need a railpass' idea.

In many countries, like Germany, Switzerland the Britain railpasses often can be a good deal with only a few trains but in Italy trains are so cheap that the Italian Rail pass for the typical traveler is hard to realize.

If the pass allowed you to just hop on and hop off without having to get and pay for reservations that would be a plus but the trains most folk end up riding don't allow that. In many other countries they do however and passes are must more viable there - especially from the aspect of just being able to hop on any ole train.

If a Eurailpass that costs at lest $365 - the cheapest of any classic Eurailpass, yes refund that pass minus 20% and buy tickets as you go along (don't worry about full trains - they are so many) and save a few hundred bucks even with the 20% cancellation fee.

An Italian Pass i'd keep at this point and you can use it without formality on IC InterCity trains and all regional and local trains.