Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eurail-1st Class Sleeper vs. Couchettes????

Old Aug 24th, 1997, 08:18 AM
Kate

We (two of us) are planning to overnight on the train from Amsterdam to Munich (11 hours) and would be grateful if anyone had experienced the difference between 1st class sleeper cabins for two (includes wash basin and electrical hookup) or the 1st class couchettes which sleep 4. The price differentials seem high but hot sure if value is there. 1st class sleeper cabin is about $85 per person vs. couchette is $25 per person. Please hurry and answer...we are leaving the states Tues 8/26 - - - THANKS!!!

Old Aug 24th, 1997, 01:14 PM
Jacques

Unless you are extremely shy and totally unable to sleep in the presence of other persons the extra cost of the sleeper is difficult to justify. The couchette is a pull-down sleeper, not very different from what is in the first class sleeper. You get a clean set of linen, and share the compartment with up to three other peole in the first class couchette. (If you are lucky, there may not even be anyone else booked in your couchette compartment - it's happened tom e more than once!) The space in the sleeper compartment is not exactly spacious. I've done both, and opt for the couchettes, preferring to spend the extra money on something fun in the city I'm visiting.
Enjoy your trip!!