ETIAS visa for Spain??

Search

ETIAS visa for Spain??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETIAS visa for Spain??

Do I need to apply for this before visiting Spain in March 2023? I have gone to the ETIAS website but somehow cannot get to the actual application form. I keep returning to this:

https://www.etiasspain.com

Am I premature in trying to obtain this document? I've never heard of it before yesterday. Perhaps this is not a requirement before the end of 2023 (??)

Old Dec 16th, 2022, 08:16 AM

I think it has been delayed again, probably November 2023 now.

It applies to all Schengen and candidate Schengen countries, so also to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Romania and Bulgaria. Croatia will be a Schengen country on Jan 1st.
It is the equivalent of the ESTA that non US citizens need to visit the US, but cheaper, and valid for longer. The UK plans to introduce something similar as well.

Just keep an eye on the info and apply nearer the time should it be introduced early, which, given the number of times it has been delayed already, seems unlikely.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 08:40 AM

If you go to the general ETIAS page, like Heti wrote, it says it is expected to come into effect November 2023.

https://www.etias.info/
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 09:06 AM

Always best to visit the official page.

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/po...tion-system_en

it is not a visa. It’s just a form. November 2023 is indeed the projected start but I’ll believe it when I see it.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 10:00 AM

As rialtogrl says, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Ok, good! One less task to complete! Thanks to all.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 01:47 PM

You may have to contend with the new Entry Exit system though. https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/po...exit-system_en
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl

it is not a visa. It’s just a form. November 2023 is indeed the projected start but I’ll believe it when I see it.
Yes it’s JUST a form which you complete & submit, pay for & get approval for (or not) in advance of travel. Much like the form (or application) non US travellers have to complete in advance of travel to the US which can take a couple of days to get approved & some cases, do not get approved at all. Some individuals need US visas and cannot get the visa waiver.

Not the sort of thing that you want to do at the airport which some US bound travellers think they can do or forget to do it beforehand & find their approval isn’t always instantly granted, therefore can’t travel.

So I’d not refer to it as only a form as it might give an impression of completing a form that goes nowhere, much like a customs form you hand in. It is not, the result of submitting the form is an electronic travel approval, a visa waiver. And if there is a category of traveller not eligible for the visa waiver, they’ll have to apply for visas.

Last edited by balthy; Dec 17th, 2022 at 03:12 AM.