Estonia- More Info

Jul 12th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Estonia- More Info

Hi, me and 2 friends are going to Tallin, Estonia in November (yes, we realise it will be cold). Has anyone ever been there before, what is there to do in the day and night? What are the people like?
We are all 30 years old if that helps. Many thanks
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM

The best nightclub in Tallin is very cheap - 10GBP for several cocktails. Restaurants are higher priced for haute cuisine. I will ask my Estonian friend for some recommendations when they have the time.

As for the people, generalising...they're cold and very much like people from that part of the world are. However, like my Estonian friend, there are always exceptions. They all speak English and are most certainly courteous.
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:52 PM
hsv

I don't know if you are familiar with those pages, but they are worth a recommendation:

http://www.inyourpocket.com

These are the best guides that are currently on the market for that region IMO. I used to live for a while in the Baltics and the InYourPocket guides became sort of a bible to me. I would also encourage you to buy the current paper issue once you are in town. They are for sale at large hotels and kiosks at pretty low prices.

It is always hard to stereotype the population of a whole nation, but I agree with m_kingdom2 that the Estonians by large are a bit reserved, but still polite - as most Northern Europeans are, anyway.

Nightlife in general is pretty good - especially during weekends when partying Fins come to town on the ferries and speed boats from Helsinki. The scene changes fast - and the last time I was in Tallin was about 1.5 years ago, so I refrain from recommendations without further checking them. Again, inyourpocket is a very good bet for you.

Enjoy your time over there (and probably do allow for a 2-day trip to beautiful Riga, Latvia, if you have the time)!
Jul 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM

I was just in Tallinn, and the old city is beautiful. Music is a big part of the culture and there are often concerts at different venues, although probably more in the summer months. I,too, recommend visiting Riga if you can.
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the response.
By the way m kingdom2, what was the name of the nightclub with the cheap cocktails.
Cheers
Jul 25th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Look up the recent Tallin Trip Report

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....=0&keyword=127