Enough time

Aug 7th, 2001, 09:37 AM
paige

Enough time

I will be arriving on the Chunnel into gare du Nord at 10:20am and will be leaving from Gare de Lyon at11:30 am. Is that enough time between trains. Help Please.

Aug 7th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Jane

Probably not. You don't have any control over lateness. I travelled from Paris to London on the Chunnel recently and we were an hour late due to rail maintenance.

Aug 7th, 2001, 10:21 AM
gail

You'd have to be awfully lucky to make that connection. Even if the train arives on time, you'd have to get a taxi through midday traffic. It isn't that it's so far (none of the stations in Paris are). If you have little luggage, the metro might be your best bet, but it would be tight. Good luck!

Aug 7th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Bob Brown

Paige, I think you can make the transfer. You have 1 hour and 10 minutes. The distance between the 2 is about 6K, or a little less than 4 miles.

The question now arises of how to get there. You have essentially two choices: RER train and taxi.

Line D goes from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon. There is only 1 intermediate stop between the two stations. I have not ridden this particular section of Line D, so we need help from some one who has actually done it.

The taxi could cost you more, but would be easier, except you are on surface streets in Paris. The avenues are fairly wide between Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon and you are traveling at a time of day when morning rush should be over. I think you could get there in less than 30 minutes even in sluggish traffic.

My big problem with the RER stations is that they tend to be huge places with long corridors and many steps. If you are carrying large amounts of luggage, the steps are a barrier.
If your muscle to luggage ratio is favorable, then the RER might be the answer. Of course, you have to find your way through the maze to get there.

I am sure you will get another opinion or two.

Aug 8th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Paige

Thanks for the information. Ya'll have
been very helpful. Paige

Aug 8th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Katherine

I think you have plenty of time. One caveat about taxis; in June we waited in a taxi queue for at least half an hour. In that case the metro would have been quicker. In my experience, maybe 6 trips back and forth, I've never had a Eurostar Chunnel train be even 2 minutes late. Pretty amazing when you think about it.