Enough connection time at Heathrow??

Jan 21st, 2007, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Enough connection time at Heathrow??

Since I'm only passing through Heathrow I had not given a lot of thought to the connection times but after reading threads about Heathrow here and elsewhere, I'm a little concerned. I arrive at T1 from LAX @ 15:30 and depart for Istanbul from T1 @17:25. On the way back I arrive at Heathrow @ 11:00 at T1 and depart for ORD @12:55 from T4.

I'll be traveling in BC. How are these times of day for daily traffic, more/less bust than other times? I will be able to use the Fast Track I assume, does that really help? I'm more worried about the flight to ORD, I can't run because of a bad knee so that cuts down the time a bit. Barrng the unforeseen, should I be able to make these connections at Heathrow? Thanks for the help.
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:16 AM

I think that, as long as you are on one ticket, ie., you don't have to collect baggage and recheck it, you should be ok. Not foolproof - your first flight could always be delayed 2 hours and you're late, but then the airlines would reschedule you. If you are on seperate tickets/itineraries, you are not ok.
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:01 AM

your flight out is probably (probably fine. I'd be REALLY concerned about your return flight though. Terminal 4 is remote from 1, 2, and 3.
Jan 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM

If it's all on British Airways (which going by your terminals I think is the case) it should be fine in both directions.

Yes, you can use the Fast Track for security. Some days it's much quicker than the prole lines, other days it's six and half a dozen. Either way, though, I suspect you'll be okay.

The morning BA flight from IST is intended to facilitate transatlantic connections, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. You probably won't have a lot of spare time for shopping at T4, but probably a little.

Be sure to avail yourself of the Terraces lounges at LHR, including a quick shower at T1 inbound if you have time. Amazingly refreshing after a night on the plane, no matter how flat the "bed."
Jan 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM

I have to agree with jaanis on this one. The return flight is iffy at the very best. You have less than two hours and remember that the times are when the flight leaves, they close boarding prior to that. Don't know the time allowance for BA @ LHR but usually you have to be checked in 30/45 minutes before departure. 11:00 is when plane lands not when you'll disembark.

Getting from T1 to T4 is your biggest problem as you'll have to leave secure area and then go through security again at T4.
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

It is all on one ticket and will arrive and depart on BA flights. I will be on ALaska air to get to LAX from Alaska and back home from ORD. There is a perfect flight leaving at 15:00 direct to Seattle which would give me time and one less stopover and I could still met my connecting flight home but of course there are no miles plan seats left on it.

Oh well, I'll have ot wait and see what happens. Thanks for the information.