Reload this Page >

English Holiday Help

Search

English Holiday Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Rick Proffer

English Holiday Help

London and Environs: <BR> Firstly, going to "Spend, Spend, Spend" for Sat. matinee at Picadilly Theatre -- any ideas for dining nearby? <BR> Secondly, would an overnight trip out to Warwick Castle/Stratford-upon-Avon be worthwhile? <BR>Weeklong narrowboat trip up the Thames: <BR> Headed from Datchet toward Oxford and back -- suggestions for sights and food along the way? <BR>Spending some time in the West Country: <BR> Desperately need quiet place along the beach somewhere for, at least, a couple of days. Please help.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 02:08 PM
R. Proffer

Must have been a really boring title... <BR>How about "O Fonts of Wisdom and Epicurean Cosmopolites, Lend Me Your Knowledge" or maybe, "Don't Read the Sticky Toffee Pudding Articles Until You've This!" <BR>But seriously, anyone got advice???

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Tony

Rick.. <BR> <BR>By the looks of your own plans, you don't need much advice - sounds great. <BR> <BR>Yes, the trip to Warwick Castle and Stratford on Avon is worthwhile. <BR> <BR>The boat trip on the Thames is wonderful, not sure if they are authentic narrow boats though. From my memories the stretch upriver from Hampton Court to Oxford is really good, and the few locks all have lockeepers to control them and do all the work. <BR>Incidentally there is good narrow boating around Stratford too, but the Thames is best in my opinion. <BR>There are plenty of good beaches in the West Country, Devon and Cornwall, probably as good as any in England.In the West Country the South Coast is prettiest (English Channel side). The North Coast is a bit more rugged,and less sheltered.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 08:29 PM
candy

we're planning to do stratford as a daytrip from london. i've been there before, and there's not really much reason to linger once you've "done" the shakespeare sights and seen some theater. just one woman's opinion.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:21 PM
candy

oops--sorry, i missed the warwick part! i did love warwick, so yes, i think that would be a lovely overnight. as emily latella would say, nevermind...

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 11:10 PM
Jan

Re the West Country part of your holiday, why not try Dorset or East Devon? (Roughly the area from East of Lyme Regis to Exmouth on the coast and inland from there.) The coastal scenery is lovely and the area is perhaps not as busy as areas like Torbay or parts of Cornwall, (also not as far to travel from London). We go there every year for a weeks walking, there are a lot of well marked paths including the Coastal path and even at the height of the holiday season it is possible to find a bit of peace and quiet. There are also quite a few National Trust houses and gardens to visit in the area if you are into that sort of thing. If you want any information on places in that area feel free to email me.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Rick

Thanks all for the helpful replies! <BR>Tony and Candy, your comments regarding Warwick and Stratford have confirmed what I thought to be a fun and unique outing for a "yank"; a little Shakespeare, a medieval castle, with a little jousting and arrow fletching thrown in for good measure, should prove to be worthwhile. <BR>Jan, thanks for the "heads-up" on the South Coast areas of Lyme Regis and Exmouth. Walking paths, sedate historic homes and gardens; these are indeed our idea of peace and quiet. <BR>